Saturday, March 21, 2009

Thirty-two

I have not reached the point, nor ever plan to, that I dread my birthday. In fact, I really enjoy getting older. It just means you have gratefully lived another year, gained some needed wisdom and hopefully become a bit kinder and more patience along the way.

The best part is that you have added another chapter of 365 days of memories into your Book of Life. And let's be honest, aren't the best novels or biographies those that have compelling, gripping, humorous, heartbreaking, tender, joyful and uplifting stories to fill their pages? I think so. February 20, 2009. I find my self thirty-two years young. If you asked my young women I teach every Sunday where they would be at 32, I bet many think they would be half-way in the grave. And yet I know I have so very much life left to life. And many of the best parts are still sure to come. I am planning on it.
This day also marked another birthday on bed rest. But on both occasions (now and when I was pregnant with the girls) I have been surrounded by family to help me celebrate my big day. And that is certainly the way to have it. But just for the record, in future years, I do plan on spending my birthday surrounded by family in Disneyland. Every. Single. Year. While this birthday was supposed to be spent home alone with my kids, my pregnancy problems quickly changed that. My mom was in town and ready to celebrate and Rich flew in from Washington D.C. that very morning for a quick weekend visit. My mom let the girls select a beautiful white and pink cake for us to devour and the girls kept singing Happy Birthday to Mom and Kaitlyn and Brynn all day long. Rich let my mom and I sneak away for a few hours so we could see the new Shopaholic flick. A real treat indeed. Then later that night we all hit Chili's for a birthday feast. Rich surprised me with singing cards that delighted the girls (one was of Cinderella stating that he wished we could be in Disneyland instead of Lexington and I couldn't have agreed more) and my mom and dad gave us a new, much needed vacuum. I certainly felt showered with love as the phone calls, emails, comments, cards and gifts came flooding in. I am one very, very lucky girl. Thanks to all for making it so special!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Glad to see you got to celebrate despite the crazy circumstances.

Jim's mom got one of those Princess singing birthday cards for her birthday, Alice fell so completely in love with it - that we took it home with us.

I can't wait to hear about your many happy birthday trips spent at Disneyland in the future.....sound perfect to me.