Saturday, March 28, 2009

An Ode to my Mother

How do you begin to thank your mother when she puts her life in Utah on hold, kisses her husband goodbye for two weeks and quickly comes to your rescue in far off Kentucky? It's a difficult task. Really how can you ever repay someone that.....

Glued down and filled into two cuts in your kitchen linoleum

Caulked around your bathroom tub

Spackled nail holes in your walls

Scrubbed old, dripped paint off the tile in the basement and storage room

Pinned and sewed slick quilt binding on two new blankets for the girls

Bought you endless groceries, new Rubbermaid containers, a frying pan and a can opener

Hunted through Target, Wal-mart and Lowe's for a new rug for the basement

Cut out a chunk of dry wall from your family room and headed over to the paint store so you had a perfect paint match

Then patched the hole and painted your walls

Replaced a broken light shade in the family room

Used toothpicks and glue to fix the door stop by the front door

Washed and folded your clothes

Bathed your girls

Bought new toys and vitamin for the boys

Treated me and the girls to end McDonald's outings (who are still loving all the Hello Kitty watches they amassed)

Took me to a movie on my birthday

Dusted, vacuumed and cleaned my drapes, blinds and corner of my room

Helped me box up endless amounts of out grown girl clothes

Revamped the boys room and sent bag after bag to Goodwill

Made my favorite tuna casserole and homemade corn dogs

Provided a shoulder to cry on

Gave you endless love and support when you really needed it


I am at a loss. So I will share a poem I found that says exactly what I was feeling.

Everything Mom
By Joanna Fuchs

How did you find the energy, Mom
To do all the things you did,
To be teacher, nurse and counselor
To me, when I was a kid.

How did you do it all, Mom,
Be a chauffeur, cook and friend,
Yet find time to be a playmate,
I just can’t comprehend.

I see now it was love, Mom
That made you come whenever I'd call,
Your inexhaustible love, Mom
And I thank you for it all.

My own simple words are not eloquent like a poem, but they are heartfelt and true.

THANK YOU.

I LOVE YOU.

AND WE MISS YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN KNOW.

You were my lifesaver. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Love you Mom!

1 comment:

Jen said...

What sweet and amazing women you have surrounding you Cheryl. I loved your mother in law's poem. Especially the part about the girls changing their clothes a million times. You all look beautiful!