Saturday, March 28, 2009

Perfect Poetry

I realize how blessed I am to have an amazing mother-in-law. I love her and she loves me back. She is easy to be around, full of stories and talk and laughter. We stayed up late, even when we had early mornings looming ahead. She bought groceries, treats, DVD's, books and a new waffle iron. We ate KFC, Taco Bell, Chick-Fil-A, Little Caesars and McDonald's til our hearts content (the kids were in heaven!). She made homemade pizza per Trey's request. She played endlessly with Kaitlyn, read story after story to Brynn, pushed Trey in piano, cheered Josh and Matt on in basketball and watched Barbie and the Nutcracker with the girls too many times to record. She tended the girls while I went to parent teacher conferences, renewed my drives license, had doctor appointments and got my hair trimmed. It was an eventful two weeks.

The days and weeks of her visit flew by and soon it was her time to head back to Utah to a patient husband who has shared her with so many recently. A solid month of service she gave- to her ailing parents, to help her daughter Heather with her recent move and then arrived in Kentucky less than 24 hours after I bid goodbye to my own mother.

She was our lifesaver too.

We welcomed back Rich from Washington D.C. and we tried to enjoy every moment together. We just don't get enough time with loved ones when you live far away.On her final day with us, she slipped a poem she had written on to the counter. She is well known for her clever rhymes. The kids listened eagerly as Rich read her words aloud. They were simply- perfect.Who'd have ever thought
I could have such awesome fun
Hanging in Kentucky
In the snow and in the sun.

Helping Trey with 8's
Was a challenge for my brain
But hearing his piano
I was so proud that I came.

Who knew he could play basketball
And dribble well and shoot,
I'm glad I could see him play
For him I love to root.

It was fun to talk to Josh
Some call him "Baby Bear",
He's the first up every morning
And cool sports clothes likes to wear.

I loved to watch his All Star Game
But sad to miss baseball,
I got to seem him throw and catch,
In school he does it all.

Matt is so creative
He can build most everything,
Some people call him "Stealth"
And All Star plays he brings.

At school he's doing well
And likes adding up big numbers,
They like to call him "Midnight Matt"
Always last to slumber.

Brynn and Kaitlyn as you know
Are Ariel and Snow White
They change their clothes a million times
They're such a cute delight.

I'm just so proud of all of you
You help your Mom and Dad,
Can't wait to come again to "Tucky"
The most fun that I've had.

Love,
Grandma Blackhair
Mom, thank you for your love, support, help and friendship. I love you so very much.As much as I hate when loved ones visits come to a close, I am starting to see an end to our long medical training road. After 8 1/2 years away, 2 more years just doesn't seem impossible anymore. And we look forward already to when our visits to Utah will be weekly trips to the house where we will have lengthy hellos and very short lived goodbyes.

No comments: