Friday, March 27, 2009

Rebirth

A Prayer in Spring
Robert Frost (1915)

Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers to-day;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.

Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.

And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.

For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfil. Spring has arrived. After months of depressing, dreary, cold days, the Earth has been reborn in brilliant hues pleasing to the eyes and soul. If ever there was a time I was ready for color and light and renewal it is now. After weeks of resting and waiting and worry, I am ready for a season of change. I embrace it. I appreciate it. And I know it is yet another sign that there is One above watching over us all.

Today, armed with my camera and girls strapped safely in the back seat, we drove around our neighborhood with one mission- to find spring. And she was ready to be found. Yes, I looked like a crazy stalker girl in my van, pulling over here and there capturing the bright trees and flowers I spotted in various yards and fields, but it was worth every puzzled glance from the drivers behind me and possible people peering through their windows. (And I know I looked insane as I was down on my hands and knees taking the above two photos in our front yard when the UPS man delivered a package. Nice....)

As we trekked forward, we sang Popcorn Popping at the top of our lungs, the girls devoured their nachos we grabbed through the Taco Bell drive thru and none minded the slight drizzle of rain that lightly sprinkled through our rolled down windows.

As I took the last photo, I knew this day had been special. It went beyond the petals and leaves. I was sharing my love of nature with Brynn and Kaitlyn. I just need to remember to stop and see the little things and abundant blessings that are poured upon me every day. Cherished memories can and will last a lifetime, as long as I slow down enough to capture them and store them in my heart. Welcome back spring. Your vibrant green, colorful flowers and delightful smells were greatly missed....

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Gosh, I'm missing living in Kentucky. That street lined with trees bursting with popcorn is incredible.

All we have here so far are a few of my daffodils and crocus....no trees anywhere close to blooming. Thanks for sharing your spring with us.

I'm sure your girls will never take spring for granted now that they've seen you take time to stop and appreciate it.