Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bring on the MADNESS!!!


There is a magic in the air that is almost palpable. Across this country you can hear the thump, thump of a ball bouncing, the sound of squeaky shoes on a gym floor. You can see the fluorescent glow flicker as the lights high above slowly turn on and illuminate the shiny wooden floor beneath. You can smell the delicious aroma of popcorn and hot dogs as it drifts toward eager fans. Men and women and children across the country proudly sport their favorite team names emblazoned across their chests. Posters are made, camera are focused, dreams hang in the balance and everyone holds their breath until the first whistle sounds.

In my home, the sweet intro song from CBS floats from the speakers and Greg Gumble and Jim Nantz's voice are soft on the ears. The brackets are filled out and on display on the refrigerator door. The DVR is set to record and text messages are being sent to family members far and wide.

It's that time of again. One my very favorite days of the year. When there is one thing and one thing only on your mind.

COLLEGE HOOPS BABY!

The big dance has arrived and boy am I ready to sit back and watch some serious basketball. I guess it helps since that is what I mainly do now- sit. But that is fine by me. I try to soak it all in and fret over every game since my picks are riding on every play.

Even if our once beloved Cardinal and our local insane UK team had to sit this year out and my alma mater BYU has already fallen to Texas A &M, it doesn't matter. The magic is not diminished.

It's like when you are in Disneyland and you realize they closed the Matterhorn for maintenance that day. While it would have been nice to go on that ride, you are still in Disneyland and that is far better than one single attraction.

It's the same thing with the Road to the Final Four. No matter which 64 teams fill those lines, you are ready for the Dance. And no matter which partners match up, it captivates you and makes you root and holler, squeal and sigh. That's the magic of tourney. It just is great no matter how it ends.

What could be better?

Not much if you ask me.

HAPPY MARCH MADNESS!!

2 comments:

Marcie said...

The first day we were in Disneyland earlier this month, Matterhorn was indeed closed. What a perfect analogy.

Enjoy the games!

Sarah said...

Cheryl,
I had to leave a comment under this post, because it was you that first introduced me to this love of my life!! I LOVE march madness. It all goes back to when Rich played and all I could do is cheer on the Stanford Cardinal! This year I had to find another team, but it always will remind me of those times!! Love you!!