Sunday, January 11, 2009

Wicked

So Much Happened Long Before Dorothy Dropped In: Long before that girl from Kansas arrives in Munchkinland, two girls meet in the land of Oz. One - born with emerald green skin - is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these two grow to become the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch makes for “the most completely satisfying new musical in a long time” (USA Today). Something WICKED was in Louisville. So on Friday night we all strapped in the van and headed west to check it out. We left the kids at the Underwood's with two babysitters and headed with Zane and Traci to the city- maybe even the Emerald City since various building just happened to be lit up green. Interesting.Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts- Whitney HallDowntown LouisvilleZane, Traci and RichThe Underwoods: Zane & Traci, The O'Briens: Vicki & Rusty, The Mortensons: Jeff & Melissa, The Jacksons: Cheryl & RichIt was so much fun to spend the night with some of my best friends.Melissa, Kari and JeffWhile we loved every minute of the play, the kids enjoyed every second spending it with their best friends too!!! Thanks Melissa for offering us the tickets and thanks Traci for getting the sitters and letting the kids destroy your home!
Our Elphaba- Donna Vivino. Photos from donnavivino.com. These are the real actors we saw in Louisville. Madame Morrible: Myra Lucretia Taylor. Glinda: Katie Rose ClarkeWicked is my favorite Broadway play- and I've seen and heard my fair share. I love the clever dialog, the humor, the costumes and melodies, but most of all I love the story of love and friendship it tells. I saw Wicked with my Mom in Chicago in October 2007. I was touched and moved by the message I discovered. I loved finally seeing it with Rich and letting him enjoy this fantastic play about sacrifice, hope and love. Here are some of the lyrics to my favorite song. I would often sing it to my babies when I rocked them to sleep. I think it is lovely.

For Good

(Elphaba): I'm limited
Just look at me -
I'm limited
And just look at you
You can do all I couldn't do, Glinda
So now it's up to you
For both of us - now it's up to you...


(Glinda): I've heard it said
Tat people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...


Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you I have been changed for good


(Elphaba): It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...


Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you


(Glinda): Because I knew you


(Both): I have been changed for good

10 comments:

Marcie said...

I could go see Wicked every week for years and not tire of it......definitely the best musical of all time.

I'm so glad you got to see it with Rich. Jim loved it as much as I did. Fun to see so many familiar faces.

Kristi said...

So that's what the Jackson's stepping out on the Hamilton's looks like....

Glad you had fun! :)

traci said...

All I can say, is "LOVED it all." That means, being with you all and the musical. I am trying to figure out a way to see it with my mom when she comes next week. I am itching to see it again! So great. Love the photos too.

KevDebKlan said...

How Did I not know that was there. I would have loved to see it again. Super fun. Glad you got to go.

Anonymous said...

Oh I want to go see it again!!! Love it! I'm glad you got to see it and have a fun night out with huuby and friends!

Stephanie said...

I love that musical! I could see it over and over, now I just need to get Shane there with me.

(ps.. I loved the picture of my family in the Christmas post)

kara jayne said...

I'm so glad you got to go and see it again...and with Rich!! It's my favorite too!

Sally said...

Lucky girl! Love the show and hope to take my hub some day. What a great group of friends!

Kristi said...

P.S. I too have been changed for good because I knew you. :)

Vicki said...

Cheryl, I was just telling Rusty how much fun that night was. We need to get together soon when we have more time.

I love the detail you put into all of your posts. You are so smart to do current events like the weather and the plane crash. You always inspire me. Hope your weekend was good.