Thursday, January 15, 2009

Frigid


The headline reads:

Bone-chilling cold invades Midwest, East

Extreme cold settled into the Bluegrass Thursday, causing numerous school closings for Friday, when morning temperatures are expected to drop below zero.

Schools throughout the Bluegrass region, including Fayette County, are closed Friday to keep students from having to venture out into temperatures expected to drop to about -4 degrees overnight. Kentucky hasn't been that cold since December 2004.

Yup, that means the kids will be home tomorrow making it our second day they will have to make up later in the year.

While I know with the possibility of the wind chill being -20 degrees does sound very frigid, it still seems crazy to cancel school simply because it is cold. I guess you have to factor in there are children that would have to wait at bus stops, but closing schools does seem to go a bit too far.

But I am not alone. My family up in Wisconsin is having the same problem, except it's much colder up there (like -60 degrees wind chill. Brrrr!). Jana's elementary school is closed and Jeff was instructed to watch his medical school lectures online. It seems this arctic air has us all bundling up from the Midwest to the Northeast.

So, now I am left wondering what to do with five kids at home over a four day weekend (Monday is Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday) while Rich is working nights and it's very cold out. I'm stumped. I guess we'll be breaking in our two new games from Christmas: Disney Scene It? and Electric Banking Monopoly. Sounds like fun to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cancel school for cold weather??? That's a first for me! What are we to do with a 4 day weekend. Long weekends are great when you know weeks in advance and can plan ahead. I'm stumped too. My only hope it that the offspring sleep until at least 7am. 8am would be magical! How sad is that!

Jen said...

Welcome to Jan/Feb. winters here. ahhhhh.. It really is cold and I feel like I never get warm. The worst is that the other day we ran out of hot water and I had to take a cold shower. Keep warm and snuggle up with those cute kids of yours and enjoy those games.

Kristi said...

I am now thankful for my 32 degree weather.

You Lexingtonites are school-canceling nuts!

Cheryl said...

FYI Kristi- We are Lexingtonians around here. And YES they are school canceling crazies. Very crazy.