Thursday, January 8, 2009

Seasons

As I looked out the window today, the wind blew bits snow here and there making the already cloudy, gloomy day look even more ominous and depressing. But I the scene before my eyes didn't make me sad. In fact, I loved what I saw. I was busy cleaning and sweeping and scrubbing the house while the girls played with their toys and dolls by the front door. This was perfect cleaning weather. No guilt for staying inside. No desire to get out and enjoy the sun and warmth a bright day offers. I was content to stay inside and that made me smile.

As the wind howled and tiny specks of ice made tiny taps on the window panes while I deep cleaned the sink, my mind was turning. Yes, I do a lot of thinking while I clean, or blog or drive- and not much any other time. Most of the day is spent dressing dolls, running errands, chasing girls through Wal-mart, driving car pool, throwing a quick dinner together, quizzing boys on spelling lists and dressing and redressing a cold, half naked Brynn all day long. (Why that girl will not stay clothed boggles my mind.)

So, as I thought while I pried dried peas off the kitchen linoleum I realized how much I do like January. I like that the kids are back in school and sort of a semblance of a routine can be re-established after the chaos of Christmas. I love having my home clutter free after the Christmas decorations are taken down.

Next I thought of February, my birthday month, Valentine's and (usually) only 28 days, all good things to me. Yes, I like that month too. As I went through all twelve months, I could find things I enjoyed throughout the year.

I went through the four seasons in my mind. I enjoy and appreciate living in a place that has four seasons. I love how distinct each one is and how each brings change. And change always has two buddies- good and bad.

Winter brought Christmas, snow, birthdays, snowmen and time inside making warm food and watching movies. Yes, it also brought ice and cold hands and toes, and less time outdoors. But I think the good things outweigh the bad.

Spring brings thunderstorms and tornadoes and mud and lots of chores around the yard, but I also find bright yellow daffodils and baby robins and a new world of green and life. The boys begin baseball and who doesn't love a little March Madness!

Summer brings hot muggy days, sunburned cheeks and burning hot cars, but I also find lazy days at the pool, swim meets, shaved ice stands and time for outings with my kids.

Fall marks the end of summer freedom and homework and a chill in the air, but it brings back sweaters and soup and Halloween and colorful leaves on the trees and ground.

As I thought about the seasons of winter, spring, summer and fall, I thought about seasons of my life. I loved my childhood. I have wonderful parents. I have great relationships with my brothers and now their wives. I loved where I grew up and enjoyed going to school. I loved my time in college living with friends, taking exciting new courses and finding joy in teaching. The highlight of that season of my life was finding my true love. I have loved the seasons of my relationship with Rich. It was thrilling to fall in love and be engaged. It was magical to be married to him in the Salt Lake Temple nearly 12 years ago. I loved being a newly wed in California and then starting a family together while we lived in Provo. I have loved our Kentucky Adventure, having more children, meeting true friends and growing as a women, wife and mother through it all. I know each season of my life will bring joys and heartache, good and bad, just as I can find both in winter, spring, summer and fall. But the most important thing is that I can find happiness and priceless memories in every stage, every time, every season.

I think the word season is so appropriate. I looked up the definition and while the first bit talked about the four natural divisions of the year, the second part was just what I was looking for:


sea·soned, sea·son·ing, sea·sons
v.

To improve or enhance the flavor of
To add zest, piquancy, or interest to
To render competent through trial and experience

To moderate; temper.
To become usable, competent, or tempered.

Yes, the various season of my life will add zest and interest and new experiences, but through it all I will be come usable, competent and tempered. This is life. To be tested, tried and to gain knowledge. This is our quest.

I am grateful that a small amount of snow on a cold January day helped me to see that each season of the year and season of my life can and will help improve and enhance the flavor of my life. The flavor of me.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh, to the seasons to come! Think of the progression of our friendship, and all the changes we have beheld in our families. Crazy. Very well written Cheryl. Good thing you type like lightning. :)