Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Patience.....

Sunday was the long awaited and highly anticipated Primary Program. The boys had practiced and we were ready. What I didn't factor in was this. Lipstick/gloss I never wear. Except that day. And I accidentally tossed it into my young women bag instead of zipping it into my purse. Add this lovely, dry clean only, raw silk dress I have had in the closet for eighteen months waiting for the girls to grow into them and a bored yet inquisitive Brynn rummaging through the bag at my feet. The program was lovely and the girls were SO well behaved. Especially Brynn, who just happened to be DRAWING with LIPSTICK ALL OVER her NEW DRESS!! Not just one small spot. Oh on. From the top of the neck to the bottom of the skirt and everywhere in-between and on the pretty white cotton sweater top. When I spied the new addition to her look during the Bishop's closing remarks, the word MAD would be an understatement. It looked like she was covered in blood from her mouth to her toes. Man, I was not happy. Not one teeny tiny bit. We made one HASTY exit after the closing prayer and headed towards home. It was a twenty minute drive each way and I had to be back to teach young women's. Ten minutes would be all I would have to try to salvage the dress and clean up Miss Brynn.

She knew she was in trouble. Because she knew she shouldn't have done it. "Sorry Mom. Sorry Mom," were the words she uttered on the drive home. Silence was all she got. I was in no mood for talk. I was trying to figure out a way to clean the dress and make it back in time.

There were two amazing things here: 1. I was so freaked out and short on time I didn't even take a photo of the disaster, thus proving what a state I was in. Though I did think about where my camera was on the drive home. 2. I LOVE Goo Off. It's a miracle cleaner. It smells like the dickens, but the results are in the photos. Both the top photo of the dress and the one below were after the lipstick nightmare. Yes, I used my full ten minutes dumping and scraping with my fingernails and washing but somehow it all came clean. What a relief. Two hand wash cycles and it was nearly as good as new. But if you are left thinking, Poor Sad Brynn. She must have learned her lesson. Think again. She did this that night while I was brushing the boys' teeth.

I think, "Patience Cheryl. Patience." My but head shouts, "Maybe. Maybe. I am really, really trying. But sometimes it is WAY harder than others."

Thank heavens she's so dang cute. Dang cute.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow I don't think your mad moments are too bad. You're a saint of a mom. Your kids are lucky to have you!

Marcie said...

Oh Cheryl. If Brynn is anything like Alice.....I completely sympathize. I am not exaggerating when I say that I spend at least 2 hours a day cleaning up MAJOR disasters Alice has created. We've done the toothpaste, mascara, lip stick, dozens of unrolled papertowel and toilet paper rolls, markers (on a almost daily basis) entire sticker sheets stuck to wood furniture etc.

The worst is when she makes a mess (like a potty training one) she doesn't tell me, but instead attempts to clean it up herself.....which doubles my work when I discover it. She is BY FAR my messiest child yet. I can't seem to get anything done these days because of her.

I would have never thought to use goo be gone on clothing. Genius. I am so happy you saved the dress......and so sorry for your stressful Sunday.

Sally said...

I am speechless...I would have had a major meltdown (after I beat my child:) Kudos to your patience!

Sally said...

Oh, and I am totally going to check out the goo!

Sarah said...

oh my goodness! I thought the lipstick on the raw silk dress was shocking, and then you threw in the toothpaste episode. Wow! Yes, a very good lesson in patience.

Sally said...

Just got your darling Halloween Card. So cute...thanks for thinking of us!

Tiffany said...

aaaah!! i would die!

kara jayne said...

Been there...done that. I feel your pain!!

Ashlee said...

I missed you in Nursery. That little Brynne and lip stick. Last spring I remember her putting chap stick all over her face during sacrament meeting. Such a girl.