Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Heart Family

If anyone were to ask me what the most difficult part of living in Kentucky has been over the past eight years, I would have one simple short answer. Without missing a beat I would reply, "Being physically far apart from our families." If you could take away the long 1,300 dreaded miles between us, I would be completely content in staying in Kentucky for the rest of our lives. No joke. I love it here. But the lack of family will draw us back when Rich's medical training is complete. I am sure of that. So while we are almost always far away from loved ones, once in awhile we get visitors. And I LOVE visits from family. Yes, phone calls, emails and blogging are great, but getting to see them in person is a million times better. Millions and millions and millions..... I am so glad the Ryder Cup brought Rich's mom and dad out for a quick visit. Yes, no matter how long they get to stay, it is never long enough. Ever.We love it when Grandma reads stories.Comes to lunch at school.Plays intense games of table top hockey in the family room.Listens to you share your fact list from school. Allows the girls to rummage through her purse.Watches the boys soccer practice. Rich loved spending time with his Dad.They soaked up every minute of golf. Friday morning they found a great spot on the seventh hole and watched all the groups play through. That afternoon they were among a select few that followed Phil Mickelson closely before the rest of the crowd realized he had begun playing again. Valhalla was a beautiful place to showcase Kentucky's lovely rolling hills and lush green landscapes.We all loved enjoying dinner spent together. The boys loved their new shirts from Grandma.The girls loved their new PJ's, but love having Grandma help them put them on even more. She's great at giving tickles, hugs and kisses.Josh loved chilling with Grandpa.Matt and Josh loved having a large cheering section at their soccer game on Saturday afternoon. Rich and his dad drove to Louisville for golf early that morning and made it back in time to watch the game.And for our kids, a visit from family would not be complete with a stop at Chuck-E-Cheese.
The girls loved all the attention and help Grandma gave them.I loved talking them into getting their photo taken together.The boys loved hitting Qdoba for dinner.
We all enjoyed watching the final day of the Ryder Cup at home on Sunday afternoon.Josh loves talking sports with his dad and grandpa.Rich has amazing, kind and generous parents.We are so happy to have them stay with us for a few days.It was simply over way to fast.
Man, I hate goodbyes. You would think after so many years they would be easy. While the end is slowly coming into sight (2 1/2 more years) and I don't shed as many tears anymore, I look forward to the day when this photo will just be a memory. The see you in three months bit. I don't mind blowing kisses waving goodbye. I just don't like the fact that instead of driving to their home, they are headed for their flight back to Utah. We miss you already.

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

I agree.Never long enough. I just said goodbye to my parents an hour ago. no fun. I just have to remember that I get to see my parents more often than most but it doesn't make it any easier. At least you have a light at the end of the tunnel:)No, I love it here but like you said, it's hard to be so far away from family.

Love the pictures. Rich looks so much like his dad. So fun to have them around.

Kristi said...

What wonderful people. You are so lucky that they come out so much. In some ways it will be WONDERFUL to live near family soon, but I think I will miss the level of intimacy we share when our family comes to visit or we stay with them.

Sally said...

What a great weekend! Family is the best (especially when you are living far away:) What an incredible Ryder Cup! So much fun and very exciting. Awesome that Rich was able to be a part of it!