Thursday, March 27, 2008

Random Thoughts...

I think I know what it sounds like when you are in an air raid. The ground shakes, the house rattles and there's a near sonic boom that echoes in your ears. For the past two hours the thunder and lightening have cracked and exploded above our house. The girls' eyes get wide, they say "wow" and it even made them cry once. It's inevitable here since it was over 70 degrees yesterday. Hoping the rain will be short lived since two muddy, cold baseball practices tonight does not sound fun to me at all.

After the newest tidal wave of toys arrived with Easter and the girls' birthday, I started feeling a bit claustrophobic in the computer room yesterday. I just can't handle having so many things crammed in corners and boxes spilling over. It was time for action. Last night after we tucked the kids in bed (10:30 PM I might add since we got home from the scout's blue and gold banquet past 9:30 PM- crazy!) I started flashing medical books in Rich's face asking if we should keep, give away or toss each item. I was so happy when my give away pile grew large and the toss pile had a few things too. I hate storing HUGE books we don't need anymore.

It seems that last night's cleaning high was good enough to make me go through the girls room this morning. Why I still have 6-12 month unmatched socks in their drawer and little baby bibs and burp cloths in another boggles my mind. I was happy to get it started, but I can't really say it is finished since I have two VERY helpful buddies assisting me. Brynn is currently wearing a 3 month size dress 1/2 way zipped up as her top. Funny girl. I'll have to see what I can do when they go down for their nap.

Which leads me to think, I HATE when my kiddos take mini naps in the car. This happened on Tuesday and Wednesday and the girls thought their 10 minute snooze was long enough. No sir! It only makes them a bit more whiny. Here's to a super long nap today. I also hope that they keep their nap going for a few more months. They are still in their cribs which helps, but my boys stopped just after 2, which was a totally sad thing. I hope with the boys in school it will allow them the rest they need (and a break for me!) during the day.

I went to parent teacher conference after school on Monday. After happily receiving good news about the boys school work, I decided to reward their hard work with a trip to McDonald's for ice cream. As we traveled down a main road an SUV driven by a middle aged woman suddenly pulled out right in front of me trying to make a left turn. There wasn't even a moment when I questioned if I should slow down. One second it was clear, the next there was a car I was going to t-bone and crash straight into the driver's door. There was NO time to swerve or think. I just slammed on my brakes and honked my horn. She had simply not looked. Nope. When I saw her face, she was turning her head toward me and put up her hands hoping not to get hit. I felt like I was in a movie because I could just envision the impact and subsequent crush of metal. Somehow, really by some miracle I stopped my van in time. She just drove off like nothing happened. My boys screamed and couldn't believe we almost got in an accident. I made me grateful that we were safe and that I should be an aware driver at all times.

Not that I'm a perfect driver. I have serious issues parking the van in the garage. It seems like I hit the wall at least once a week. Last week when I bumped into it, I crushed my nice mop breaking it in half. The boys always laugh when I don't stop quite in time. Sure, I am inching my way forward, but I have a few dings in the drywall that I need to patch again. Looks like I have some practicing of my own to do.

My NCAA tourney picks are hanging in there. I am currently in second place in both family contests. OK, so I really am third in the Nance one, but Jeff has a fake "upset" bracket in there too. Sorry little brother, I'm only counting your real one against mine. We'll see how it holds up when the games start later today.

I have to say that there are a few commercials out there that I REALLY love right now. My favorite one is on ESPN and is for some cell phone carrier. It's of a lady at a baby shower and she's totally into sports. There is a reporter interviewing her after the shower, and while he praises her dedication, she states that she hopes her sister will talk to her again, but she'd just settle for a ride home. Then you see a car pull off and the lady screams, "NANCY" and starts chasing the car. I laugh every time. The other ones I love are from Free Credit Report.com . The song with them driving in their crappy car and the one where they are living in his in laws basement is hilarious. Good marketing guys!

Watched my weekly AI today. I knew neither Brooke or David got kicked off, so it wasn't as mysterious. I thought David's song sounded like should have been from EFY. Not a good choice for a national singing competition. Even with Brooke's oops beginning I still like her.

And the best news of the week is: my little brother Brad got ENGAGED on Saturday to Jana. Woo Hoo! We are thrilled. Congrats! We love you both. Good times ahead.

Happy day to you all!

7 comments:

Shawni said...

I'm so glad you guys weren't hurt in a car accident! I'm thinking that lady in the SUV sounds like me. I better be a more careful driver. It looks like you guys had a fun Easter!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

jeff and I sat watching AI the other night and looked at each other and said "is this church?" LOL! It totally reminded me of EFY... all the girls Kari's age and all my neices LOVE David A. so I think he is safe for a while with the "tween" and early teen vote.
I am so gald you are okay.. I can't stop to think about driving too much or I'd be too scared to go anywhere.
I'm with you on the clothes "purge".. syd still has baby socks in her sock drawer- i think every morning when I get her dressed that I need to clean that out..

Sue said...

Seriously, your post shows how many things women think about at the same time.

I'm totally scared of lightning storms. They make me cry too.

Spring must be in the air because I've started to throw the toys out and pack up the clothes my kids have grown out of too. If it makes you feel better, I just packed-up the 6-12 month socks too, and my youngest is 3. I was still shoving Crew and Ty's feet into them. There's just some things I hate to buy and socks is one of them. It's just not a fun purchase.

I love commercial and actually get mad when Ryan fast forwards some of them. I really appreciate a brilliant commercial.

I'm so glad that you had a successful parent/teachers. It's such a relief when you hear things are going well at school.

I'm also so glad that you didn't get into a car accident. It always makes you so mad when you have your kids in the car with you. Careless drivers drive me crazy! However, I've found that I'm one of those people who shouldn't drive while I'm talking on my cell phone.

As for AI I'm cheering for David. I agree, not the best song choice. However, Paula's right when she said.. he could sing the phone book and make it sound great.

I hope you have a great day with great thoughts!

kara jayne said...

You said it perfectly when you said David's song sounded like and EFY song!! Seriously, when he was singing it I was looking for the right description of a genre for it and you got it on the NOSE!! I became a fan of David Cook though after that Billy Jean remake. AMAZING!!

Almost accidents are SO SCARY! In a way they are blessings though, because they force you to re-focus.

I'm glad you are feeling Spring in the air. We are feeling Summer!! Ella is at a friends house swimming right now! I'm not ready for July here...think I'll hang out in Utah for that month!

Vicki said...

I am so with you on the "mini-naps". I really don't have the problem, because no matter what Molly refuses to sleep in the van. We take a 14 hour trip to Wisconsin every year and she won't sleep at all--well maybe the last 20 minutes of the drive. I really hope that Molly continues her naps as well. It's only happening about four times a week. I hope that your girls continue their naps. It really helps getting time to yourself.

I'm so glad you guys avoided the wreck. I have had a few brushes like that and I'm always so grateful and re-commit that I will drive more carefully.

I hope you have a good weekend.

Amanda said...

Fun, random thoughts!

Sammy just stopped taking naps, but only because I took away his pacifier. It sucks. He really needs them too. Sometimes we just go for a drive in the car so he'll sleep.

I hate car accidents. I've been in enough of them to know. It's a terrible feeling. I'm glad you didn't experience it fully, though I'm sure you had butterflies for a long time afterwards.

I love AI. I've been a faithful watcher every season. I adore Brooke and David A. Yeah, we're probably bias, but I really really like the way Brooke's voice sounds. I'm planning on downloading some of her songs from itunes.

I hear you about the organizing of kids' clothes. It's such a pain sometimes.

Haven't seen any of those commercials, but I never watch commercials any more with DVR. Which I personally think is one of the best inventions ever, after the epidural.

Glad to hear your life is good and normal. I miss you. When are you coming back to Utah? Clark told me the other day that I should go out to visit you. It was kind of random, but I told him that I'd take him up on that. So who knows, maybe we'll see each other soon.

Amanda said...

Oh, and tell Brad congrats!

And one more thing, good job on the Book of Mormon. You're getting there. Just wanted you to know that I'm keeping track of you.