Friday, March 21, 2008

Signs of Life....

Spring has finally arrived! In honor of its first official day this year, the girls and I went for a walk yesterday and this afternoon in search of happy signs that the world really is coming back to life. Who can stay inside when the rain has cleared and the air is cool and fresh? It's a bit of heaven after a long, cold winter. Thankfully we weren't disappointed! Nope, not one bit! Though I have to admit, I am sure I looked like some crazed woman pushing a stroller snapping pictures. I even went into a few strangers yards to capture their pretty spring blossoms. Very glad no one came out and chased me away. Here's some of what we found....Buds on trees and a lovely clear blue sky
Purple Crocuses A flowering treeBright yellow Crocuses
Squirrels on UK campus. These were the girls favorite by far. They would squeal with delight when they spotted one and point and wave until they disappeared.
Bright beautiful daffodils
Purple and yellow Crocus Birds, birds, birds. I love hearing their tweets and songs in the morning. Makes me realize I need to fill up my feeder in the backyard.
The robins have been out and about feeding, flirting and eyeing possible nesting sites. I loved that we had 3 sets of baby robins live in our yard last year and was SO relived when they all managed to fly away. Not sure if I'm up for it again. I just worry day and night about those babies!
Snow white CrocusesViolet HyacinthsThere's nothing like a bright and sunny day to get people out and about. I love to see the herd of walkers coming down the hill from school. My boys will join their ranks in 2 weeks after spring break.Sadly, I also saw my first dandelion of the year. I have a passionate HATE for these weeds. Nearly every day I get out my handy knife in search of new ones to dig up. It's the only way to succeed in killing them. I also saw my first flies buzzing around the can on garbage day this past Monday, had a bee flew by my head tonight and I have already killed 2 spiders in the house. There is always good and bad, but I'll take the warmth and sun any day over the freezing cold and snow. You just can't be sad when there's sunshine all around.And I am very much looking forward to when we can spend most of our time here- our neighborhood pool and playground. Fun times ahead!

Happy 1st day of Spring!

5 comments:

Joe and Amy said...

Yay for spring! I love it! I just wish it would last a little longer here. Before long it will be Africa-hot here, but on the bright side that's perfect for swimming. :)

Marcie said...

I think Kentucky is at least a month ahead of us here. However, I did see my Crocus peeking out today.

I didn't realize you were within walking distance of UK. How fun!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

It seems like spring has been a long time coming around here.. I love your pictures! We must have both been outside at the same time the other day taking pictures! Sydney is allergic to bees so I'm not looking forward to them coming back either.

Holly said...

thanks for all the pictures of spring flowers-- they made me happy!

Shelly said...

Sadly, everything in Rochester is still gray and brown. I am so ready to live a little bit further south.