Friday, March 7, 2008

WEATHER to believe them....

Clink, clink, clink sounds the bits of ice as they strike the window as I type. Rich just said, "It could be a wild one tonight." We'll see. I am a firm believer of the "show it to me" attitude when it comes to predicting storms around here. They spent nearly 15 minutes of the news broadcast today discussing the massive system headed our way. But who really knows how much we'll actually get. The poor weather guys here are about as accurate as people predicting the stock market. Once in a while they get it right, but sometimes they are really, really wrong!

I got a phone call at 10:15 AM this morning announcing early dismissal at 12:35 PM. Finally a short day we don't have to make up. Before I picked the boys up the girls and I ran over to Wal-mart to get a prescription. We were nearly blown away by the wind and fierce rain, but no snow had fallen.... yet. I do have to give a shout out to my over sized rainbow colored golf umbrella. It has saved me and the girls time and time again. I may not be a golfer, but those are one awesome accessory!

After we did our bit of shopping and drove over to the school to wait in the endless pick up line (it looked like a snake winding it's way through the neighborhood) big beautiful white snow flakes appeared and turned a cold dreary day into a virtual winter wonderland. Of course we had to celebrate so we got Wendy's. I couldn't help but smile as I handed the nice drive through fellow my money and big fluffy flakes landed on my arm.

Of course that bit was short lived and here we are ten hours later and we nearly have a inch. They predicted we'd get up to 6 inches overnight, but I'm not holding my breath. They did close the Louisville temple Friday night and Saturday so that trip is off, even though I had made up my mind not to drive there in the bad weather. Can't wait to hear when they reschedule it. Finally there's a way I can go!

So, back to my orginal thought. Weather people: If you say it- mean it. Show me the snow baby. Sure it's March, but I always love a good excuse to stay inside cuddled up with the kids eating popcorn and watching a good movie. But, we'll see.....

5 comments:

Marcie said...

What is up with Kentucky these days. You seem to jump from flip flops to ice storms like my kids in a bounce house. Crazy!

Vicki said...

This weather is too weird. How much snow did you end up getting. I'm ready to pull the spring/summer clothes out of the bins and put the "snow gear" away.

Hope you had a fun weekend.

Kim Cannon said...

I am always surprised when I read about your snow days. I can't believe they close school for an inch of snow. In Milwaukee it has to be -30 and a blizzard. How much snow did you get?

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

I love it when it is snow too.. not the icy mix stuff. I had to smile yesterday and I woke up to the white covered earth...it reminds me of being in utah when I was a kid.
I hope there was enough there to play in. we had about 12" here.

Barney Family said...

I always loved this about Ohio-- the weather was always the top story of the nightly news and I had never heard so many people go crazy over the weather.

You know I am getting a little nervous about moving back to the midwest with the weather. I keep reading all these post of crazy, snowy, cold weather back there and I am starting to remember how cold it is.

Hopefully it gets nice soon. Hey for good old days-- Jason and I are going to the Sunshine Tourney this weekend. How funny, I just remembered our Sophomore year in your tracker, listening to the Momma's and the Papas at the state tourney-- when Sp. Fork lost to Murray twice. Those were the good old days.

Kellie