Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thunder through the years

This past Saturday we made our yearly pilgrimage to the Louisville water front for Thunder Over Louisville. It was my, Trey, Josh and Matt's seventh thunder, Rich's sixth, Brynn and Kaitlyn's third and Zach's first.

Ever since our first show back in 2002, I have been hooked. I don't mind the crazy crowds (a MILLION people!) or the long walk, it's worth every effort is takes to go.

Every year has been different.

2001: Our first year living in Louisville. I was 6 months pregnant with Josh and Matt and we flew home to Utah the night before Thunder. I didn't know yet what I was missing.

2002: Our first time was spontaneous. I wanted to go, Rich wasn't so sure, since we had a two-year-old and two nearly one-year-olds. I talked Rich into just going downtown for the airshow. We parked next to the medical school and went up to the top floor and watched the airplanes from up high. When we exited the building, we ran into a couple from our ward and ended up following them down to their group on the grass. We had no snacks, no jackets and one diaper. You could say we were VERY ill prepared. And yet, it was fine. The boys were great and we stayed there the entire night. We were able to get our first taste of Thunder, North America's largest firework display. The most memorable part for me- the actually feeling the fireworks have on your body. You can feel them. They actually shake you. It's incredible. And the bridge. Oh. It's a sight when it's lit up like a rainbow or dripping fireworks like a waterfall. It is hard to adequately describe its beauty.

2003: We bypassed the long wait on the lawn and joined the Hamilton's, Madsen's and Alcorn's on the West's staked out plot on the great lawn. We took photos, ate snacks and the weather was perfect. Jackets, capri's, flip flops. Can't complain. The bad part: getting home. They closed the freeway entrance by the school. The one we used the year before to zip out and get home in record time. Instead we back tracked through the projects. Yes, the slums of Louisville were hopping on Thunder and my heart was racing, even when there was a line of cars a mile long. I was more than relieved to get through in one piece.

2004: Rich was doing his surgery rotation in Madisonville. My family had flown me and my boys back from our stay in Utah. We packed up the blanket, DVD player, treats and headed down at 2 PM. The lawn was packed and it was HOT! I think it was in the 90's. We camped out next to a group with a tent and we tried to stay in their shade while the boys died of heat. My dad bought 2 44 oz. drinks and in the eight hours we were there, no one went to the bathroom once. We were so dehydrated. When evening fell, people started coming up the hill and were cutting through where we were sitting. This country sounding boy was next to us and started telling people not to come through. My dad thought this was great a gave him some change to keep it up. Man, that worked. He went on and on telling people to go away in that twangy accent of his. It was hilarious. Later that night Todd and Kristi roller bladed down and found us. Did I mention Kristi was totally pregnant! She's a nut. The other very memorable part of the night was when Kristi asked his guy behind us to stop smoking- she was pregnant. It is something I'll never forget! We got stuck in traffic again and my family flew back to Utah just hours after we got back to our house. I am so grateful they were there with me and the boys when Rich wasn't and that we were able to share Thunder with them.

2005: This was a CRAZY year. It was Rich's 4th year of medical school and possible last Thunder since the match wasn't until May and we didn't know where we'd be going for residency. The weather man forcasted rain, sleet and cold temps. I was determined to go. Rich thought I was NUTS (and still does), but knew me well enough that I would get my way. I headed to Wal-mart that morning to get supplies. While there I ran into Kristi and Todd and Kristi's mom and dad who were in town visiting. I told them I was going to Thunder. They too thought I was nuts, but I could tell Kristi's dad was longing to go too. Yes, Anna was tiny, but still, I was sad they said they would not be joining us. I bought two tarps and snacks. Rich tried to talk me out of it, but it was to no avail. We packed up the car a 7 PM. We had winter coats, a small tent, our tarps, umbrella and Gameboys for the boys to pass the time. River Road was empty as we made the long trek down to the river. Every so often people would pass us, heading back to their cars. We stopped and bought hot dogs from a stand. We were their only customers. Just as we reached the freeway viaduct, the rain began and the wind picked up. It was bitterly cold. We got to the lawn and found a few tents dotting the grass, but it was practically empty. We quickly put down a tarp, popped up the tent and hunkered down and got settled in just before the rain returned and the sleet began. Rich and I pulled the second tarp over our head, covering us. We used the umbrellas to stop the wind. The boys cuddled in the tent. The time slowly passed. My legs went numb, but no one complained. Then the rain stopped and fireworks went on, just like they always do. It was magical watching them with just a handful of people, who were just as crazy as us. That is my most memorable Thunder to date.

2006: Rich was on call- general surgery inter year. Brynn and Kaitlyn were three weeks old. My mom was in town, helping up pack up the house to sell. We watched the fireworks on the TV and could see them from out my upstairs bedroom window. They were tiny specks of color miles away. I longed to be there.

2007: We moved to Lexington in July and I missed the previous year since we had two newborn babies. We were ready for a great Thunder! We got off easy and avoided the long wait since we had baseball in the afternoon. We got to Louisville around 7 PM. We make our way onto the lawn just before the sun set and found the beloved Louisville group saving us a spot. Got to visit with Tiffany and Josh, Tyler and Cynthia Madsen and the Hamilton's. It was so great to see them since we had been away for nearly a year. We sat next to HUGE speakers, but even with the noise it was a lovely night spent with dear friends. It was the girls' first Thunder.

2008: We once again had baseball until late in the afternoon, so we drove down later in the evening and met the gang. It was cold and we were dressed in our winter coats once again. There was a bit of light rain, but it wasn't too bad. Our group ended up watching the fireworks from a distance after someone offered to save a spot, but ended up sitting by another group clear out past two bridges and we all got stuck there. But why should I complain? We still got to spend the night with The Hamilton's and Madsen's, so it wasn't all that bad, even if we could only see one barge and part of the bridge. Poor Tiffany was not pleased, as this was her last Thunder. (Krisit's too, but we didn't know it at the time.) Brynn cried through the whole show and was afraid of the fireworks. Not the best year, but well worth the trip to see the show with friends.

2009: Pregnant with Zach. On a modified bed rest. Walking that far was out of the question. I half jokingly asked Rich if we could go and he could push me in a wheelchair. Ah, no. I was delighted when some of the jets from the airshow flew over our house. It was like they were including me while I was away.

2010: After a poor showing in 2008 and an absence in 2009 I was ready for Thunder! The weather was cool (60's), but dry so we dressed in jackets (though Matt forgot his) and long pants. We left our house at 5:40 PM and when we were nearly to the Gene Snyder Exit, Brynn gave us a ten second bathroom warning and then had an accident (which never happens). After a quick stop at my beloved Summit shopping center we were all set with new clothes for her. As we exited I-71 on Zorn Ave, we were horrified to see tow truck after tow truck grabbing cars and hauling them away at a record pace. Can you imagine how awful that would be to walk for a near hour in the dark and cold only to find your car was missing?! They had roped off many places we usually have parked and were happy to find a woman selling parking spots for $15. It was the first time we had to pay to park, but after what we saw, we were more than happy to get a safe spot. Rich was sure in the years past we had walked for at least an hour to reach the lawn, but I said no way. It did help that the girls and Zach were in strollers and the boys were now 10 and 8 and all our gear was loaded under the girls. We walked quickly for 40 minutes while airplanes zoomed overhead. We got to the lawn at 8:30 PM, about one hour before the show. I was a bit nervous about finding a place and thought we'd have to sneak into a spot. I left the family below and walked up the hill and to my surprise and delight, there was a huge spot of open grass right there. I asked the man next to it if we could sit and he said sure. We got our gear up the hill and began spreading out our blanket when I noticed a guy just in front of us with a BYU t-shirt. I asked another man with a group if they were LDS. The whole group in front of us were LDS and most were in the Crestwood 2nd ward. We know a lot of people in that ward, so it was funny. Their group had staked off that spot, but had taken down their rope as it got later, thus creating the empty spot of grass we sat on. What luck to find a group of LDS people in the middle of a sea of hundreds of thousands. There was no second hand smoke or crazy neighbors and I only heard a couple of 'happy' drunk people screaming once the show started. We had a great view of the fireworks and the dreaded speakers were far enough away that we could easily talk to each other. They had 15 minutes of technical difficulties with the fireworks, but once they began it was perfect. All kids loved the show and Zach would look and then crawl around the blanket. Once it was over we assigned buddies to the boys and had them link arms and made it safely back to the car. We pulled into our driveway at 1 AM. A perfect night in my book.

Ten years of Thunder memories.

I hope there are many more years to come.

Because a show this big is worth coming back for, even if you eventually move away.

No comments: