Monday, April 12, 2010

Human Spaceflight

Space Shuttle Discovery April 5, 2010

One of my fondest memories as a child was lying on back on the front lawn surrounded by the darkness of night- waiting. Waiting to see some thing miraculous. Something awe inspiring. Something that years later, I would never, ever forget.

There on the cool grass next to my dad, mom and brothers we kept our eyes trained high above, hoping to be the one to see the first movement, the first glow, of the Space Shuttle Challenger.

I'll never forget when the bright object appeared and moved quickly across the night sky. I stared, wanting to capture the moment, trying not miss a second of its view.

To think there were men and women miles above the Earth, out in space! It is incredible and amazing to me even now. It deeply added to my love and appreciation for space exploration and astronomy.

I was a bit heartbroken when I first learned that NASA would soon be closing the door on the Shuttle Era. There are only three missions to complete, ending in September of this year.

But my spirits were quickly lifted when my dad told me how I could view the shuttle and the International Space Station with my own eyes once again. NASA has provided sighting opportunities on their website, giving you the exact time, location and duration of the shuttle's and space station's visibility.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+States

Select your state and city and then learn when the shuttle can be seen in your area.

The Space Shuttle Discovery launched on April 5, 2010 and will be in flight for 14 days. The viewing times are usually been 5 AM and sunrise. This allows sunlight to reflect off the ISS and shuttle allowing us to view it.

I have seen it the past three mornings and each time is very special and different, depending on the time, placement (degree) in the sky and length of the sighting. It looks like a bright star that quickly moves across the sky. I have tried to capture it on film, but it has proven to be very tricky.

I am looking forward to next week when the shuttle will detach from the space station and I will be able to see them close together, but individually in sky.

I will never forget, this past Saturday morning, as we drove Rich to the airport. At 6:32 AM we all had our eyes focused on the west north west area of the sky, looking for the shuttle and space station. Once spotted, Rich drove like mad past our Super Wal-mart looking for a place to pull over so we could get out the car to view it. The kids all loved it and seemed to have the same excitement as I did as a child.

Matt was a bit unsure he saw it on Saturday, so I woke him up early Sunday morning and the two of us viewed it together in our front yard.

I love making memories like these with my family. They are the bits of sparkle and dazzle mixed into our every day lives. I hope they, too, will cherish these unique moments of life and one day want to share experiences like these with their own little ones.

April 7, 2010 April 11, 2010

International Space Station and Space Shuttle Discovery
Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:34 AM

Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:23 AM


Monday, April 12, 2010 5:46 AM


Future Shuttle Missions

STS-132
Launch Target: May 14, 2010 at 2:28 p.m. EDT
Shuttle: Atlantis
Duration: 12 days

STS-133
Launch Target: July 29, 2010
at 7:51 a.m. EDT
Shuttle: Endeavour
Duration: 10 days

STS-134
Launch Target: Sept. 16, 2010
at 11:57 a.m. EDT
Shuttle: Discovery
Duration: 8 days
Info: This will be the 36th shuttle mission to the station and the 134th and final shuttle
flight.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the tips. I have very fond memories of laying outside watching meteor showers with my dad