Thursday, April 15, 2010

Intensity

I took the girls in for their 4-year-old check-ups and immunizations on Wednesday afternoon. I had prepared them all week so they would be ready to get their shots.

I had the privilege of 'bear hugging' them during the vaccines, so the nurse could administer the shots into their thighs.

When the moment arrived, Brynn went first. She cried a bit, but it was manageable.

Kaitlyn was on a whole different level. The second I started to squeeze, the screaming began, long before the first needle prick.

When it was all said and done and the band-aids were in place and three lovely stickers adorned their shirts, my ears rang for a half an hour, as if I had been to a very loud rock concert.

But the most curious thing were Kaitlyn's eyes. All of her intensity and screams must have put an incredible amount of pressure on her eyes, because when I looked at her after, both of her eyelids were speckled with bruises from broken blood vessels.

Wow.

That's not something I have ever encountered. Even after natural child birth.

Impressive Kaitlyn.

(Thank heavens were done until they need a tetanus booster in about 6 years!)

No comments: