Saturday, October 10, 2009

My Fella

It really is a shame that I only get one day a year to shower Rich with presents and cake and banners and balloons and lunch dates and dinner take out because he deserves treats like these far more than that. More like once a week. Seriously.

He works so hard, only to come home to more work- homework, bedtime, kids and his own nightly personal board study time. He often gets little or no free time to himself when our nights are filled to the brim with activities for the kids.

He gets little sleep and is up early making chocolate milk for Trey and rousing three sleepy boys and herding them to the shower at 6:45 am. He often takes them to school, often resulting in the loss of a closer covered parking spot. I am sure he's been seen jogging to work in dress clothes more than once trying to avoid being late after a long, slow morning getting the boys to school.

He has spent the last nine years in medical school and residency and still has at least 20 more months of training. He has taken innumerable tests, five board exams and countless hours on call. His job is stressful and demanding, and yet he never complains, never says a bad word about fellow residents or attendings and always gives people the benefit of the doubt.

Even with a crazy job with sometimes insane hours Rich always puts family first. He will come to games straight from 36 hours on call at the hospital with no sleep. He coached the boys basketball team last year. He'll shoot hoops in the backyard and throw baseballs until his arm is tired. He worked all four of our family's jobs at the swim meets this summer and will get up early to attend parent teacher conferences so I don't have to haul the girls and baby to all three.

Rich is the kindest, most sincere, honest, dependable, gentle, handsome man and I was the lucky girl that got a ring on my finger and an offer to spend the rest of forever with him.

He has given me the most precious gifts of my life- our children. They are the jewels of our lives. And I know he would agree.

He brightens my life each day with his smile, kind words, complements and love. He sees the light in the darkness. He sees the good in the bad. And he lifts us all up to enjoy the lovely sunrises and sunsets of life. Each day is a blessing with my best friend by my side.

Happy Birthday Babe. I love you more than I can say. You are my everything. And more.

4 comments:

Marcie said...

Happy Birthday Rich and Trey!

Joy said...

Happy Birthday Rich! Cheryl, you should right cards for Hallmark!

Heather Woolley said...

Happy Birthday Rich! Sorry I didn't call you Friday. Cheryl, what a nice post to such a handsome, amazing guy. I'm pretty lucky to call him my brother! Miss you guys! Hope we'll get to see you in a couple months at Christmastime!!!

Jana said...

Rich sorry we did not call to wish you happy birthday. Hope you know how much we love and admire you and Cheryl. We hope you had a special day.
Brad and Jana