Thursday, October 1, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

My mom was in town over the Labor Day weekend. We decided to hit our old stompin' grounds: The Louisville Zoo.

We have spent many a day there over the past nine years walking the grounds, pushing a double stroller up those killer hills, chatting with friends, splashing in puddles and getting soaked in the rain, studying the animals, seeing the new babies, drinking red Icees from plastic collector cups, watching the kids climb like monkeys on the playground, riding the carousel and train, searching the place for places to push in the zoo key that unlock a clever song, watching late night movies in the dark on a huge screen located on the top of the highest hill during summer movie nights and Trick-or-Treating there in October.

We even spent Trey's third birthday there, just me and the boys, during an intense rain storm and only saw one other person during our visit. We were the only car in the parking lot when we arrived and left.

Good memories.

But our time there is running out. My zoo pass expires on October 31 and with a move to Cincinnati probable and the fact that Hogle Zoo in Utah no longer honors the card to get in free, I will not be renewing our pass again. It's been a constant fixture in my wallet for the past nine years. I love a good zoo and Louisville has been good to us.

So, before our days there end, it was only appropriate we bring our newest addition to check it out for himself. Ok, he slept through the whole thing, but we loved being there with Zach and my mom.

It was crazy busy (Saturday before Labor Day) and really hot and Brynn had a MEGA MELTDOWN over the Diet Coke, which led to the concession worker to hand me the refilled glass and told me to forgo waiting in line to pay. I think Brynn's screams were hurting her ears too much to want us to stick around.

At the same time, we also had a great view of the Tiger, saw the new baby Bongo and year old elephant and enjoyed being outside together. We gobbled up McDonald's ice cream on the drive home and then met up with Rich at Chili's in Lexington for a huge feast.

I always love making new memories and this time visiting the zoo meant a little bit more since I knew it just might be our farewell tour.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I still miss that zoo and wish Hayden could remember it. Hogle Zoo seems so pathetic in comparison.....