Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wishing....

The first rite of summer growing up was Art City Days, Springville City's big day. Sitting in front of the Art Museum and later in front of my uncle and Dad's office we watched the beloved parade at 10 AM. There is always an abundance of candy throwing, free balloons, flyers, high school bands and even flowers passed out to the crowd that lined the main streets. At 16 I bungee jumped from a huge crane in Brookside Gas Stations parking lot. A year later I rode in the back of a pickup through the parade route waving to all the 'Devils' as a Spanish Fork (and hated rival) Cheerleader.

But the biggest highlight has always been FAMILY. Plopped down on the grass with my feet in the street surrounded by those I love. For at least two decades after the parade we would head over to Grandma Nance's for a BBQ. I could never eat enough of my Grandma's tuna apple macaroni salad. It's divine. Now the family meets at my Uncle Dave and Aunt Stacy's house for a fun filled afternoon of food and adventure in their 'Disney' house. What memories. Even my boys, who have been lucky to attend a few times during our years in Kentucky, love this event.

Art City Days was TODAY. My dad sent me this photo this morning as I chatted on the phone with him, music and voices blaring in the background. And I could only WISH I could be there with my little family to savor the day and make new memories I would always cherish.

3 comments:

Julie and Matt said...

I know how hard it is when your whole family is together and you're in KY. That was pretty much 8 years of my life. I love Springville. I will always have a special place in my heart for Springville since I taught school there for 3 years.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for helping me relive Art City Days too. We hope that everything is going good for you guys! Maybe some our two families will be there again ;)

Marcie said...

I have been too crazy busy to comment on blogs as of late. I'm expecting that life will settle down this week.

I thought that the swimming post below this one was the same one as a week or so ago so I hadn't read all the Hamilton and friends posts.

I do have to say it was great to hear Kristi call last week and hear here say she was calling from Utah. I can't wait until she gets back from her world tour so we can hang out.

Great job your boys are doing on swim team. There is nothing like a ribbon (or two) to make you feel great about all of your hard work.

The girls look darling and I am amazed at your ability to keep them entertained those long hours at the pool.

I've had your baby gift here for a few months and plan to send it off sometime this week. That baby ticker on your sidebar just keeps on ticking. So exciting for all of you.