Friday, June 12, 2009

Heading Home

Where in the world do you begin when your best friend whom you have shared the past NINE years with is moving 1,400 miles west?

Words are not adequate.

But Todd put it into perspective. "It won't matter, you guys talk every day."

True.

And I have lived an hour and a half away from her for the last three years.

But still.

It hurts when you are the last of the med/dental school gang left behind.

My heart swells when I think of all the memories.

Meeting over dinner at the Madsen's just days after we moved to Louisville. Our first get together at their apartment off of Zorn Avenue where we watched "Survivor" and Todd and Kristi graciously ate a lemon poppy seed cake I had baked and then clumsily dropped in a pile of wood chips while walking in to the apartment. I guess that's where real friendships begin- when you are willing to brush off the dirt with your fork, smile and take a big bite. Years of shared meals at birthdays, pumpkin carving parties, Thanksgiving, treks to Huber Farm, the Louisville Zoo, the Science Center, Thunder Over Louisville (highlight was when a very pregnant Kristi roller bladed to our spot and then told a fellow behind us to stop smoking at an outdoor event!). There has been trips to the St. James Art Festival and Polar Express Trains. From babies, to blessings, to baptisms, to bar exams, to boards, it's been quite a ride.

She's the first person I called when Rich passed Physics boards. She was my shoulder to cry on (via telephone) when this pregnancy was hard and the one I have to call when I just need a friendly hello. I'm amazed she still answers my calls when she sees my number!

She teases me about my love of Wal-mart and I eat her brownies stuffed with spinach. She loves yard sales and I love the mall. She's a garlic and cheese lover while I dislike both.

We are so different and yet alike where it matters most.

So, Congrats to Todd on his completion of his medical training. We are so happy you have reached the end of the road and now it's your turn to spread your wings and fly. We know you will soar.
Todd, Kristi, Anna and KateThe Hamilton home of the past five yearsThe empty basement, where half our house was once stored when we were selling our home.The Jackson boys with JacksonAnna's room
The beloved black babyKristi's hobby. She's very talented.And always willing to give away her beautiful bows.
I might wonder where the years have gone, but this photo is proof enough. We started with just a tiny Trey and Josh and Matt in my belly. Todd and Kristi were newly married. Time certainly has passed when you look at our brood now.

We love you guys.

Now find an awesome place to live in Utah so we can move next door in two years. And I'm totally 100% serious.

We miss you already!

2 comments:

Julie and Matt said...

I can't believe Kristi and Todd are gone! They seem like permanent fixtures in Louisville. I'm excited to see them a little more often. You'll guys will be done and back in Utah before you know it! Hang in there, sweetie!

Kristi said...

I can't believe I never commented on this one. Some friend. No words. So glad you're mine!!!!! And it's true, I barely miss you with all this talking every day business.... LOVE YOU GUYS!