Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuesday Tell All: Back to School

What are your family's back to school traditions?

We have never really had set celebrations or tradition to kick off a new school year. I think after two and a half months of sleeping in, swimming, trips here and there and non-stop fun there is no need to end it with a bang. But the more I thought about the question, there are a few things we do when the beginning of school is near.

Father's Blessing: This is the one and only must. In fact Rich and I both received fathers blessings from our dads before a new school year when we were children. There is no better way than to start something new that with the support, love and help of Heavenly Father. What a blessing it is to have the priesthood in our home and lives to guide, direct and strenghten us in our endeavours.

Shopping for school supplies: For the past five years we have all piled in the car and headed to Wal-mart for school supplies. It began in Louisville when Trey started at Watkins United Methodist preschool. He only needed a few items, but it was enjoyable to walk the aisles picking our lunch bags (Lunch Bunch), glue sticks and crayons. I'm a sucker for those great sales and end up buying boxes and boxes of 22 cent crayons for our own personal use. Yes, the lists have gotten much longer and instead of a handful of items we had an entire cart full this year, but I love doing it and having my kids along to help me out. It gets us all excited for the new school year to begin.

Haircuts: Nope, I don't whisk my boys down to the local barber for a new look, I simply plunk them down in front of the TV and using my Flowbee give them the same haircut they have had for years. Why change it up when its working so well? They look so handsome when their hair stays combed and not flopping in their eyes or hanging over their ears. It makes them look the part- ready to succeed.

Bedtime: This is a hard one for me. I am just such a late night person, but when school rolls around I try to stick to a set bedtime routine and have them in bed no later than 9:30 PM. Their 6:45 AM wake up is just too hard when you've gone to bed late. I just have to make sure dinner is done, PJ's are on by 8 PM and we are brushing teeth by 9 PM. Easy to write, but harder to implement. The best days are when we are ahead of schedule and I can read aloud a bedtime story to the kids. I love to read the Childcraft animal book to the girls (they ask for it after they brush their teeth) and a chapter of Harry Potter to the boys. That alone should get me motivated to get them upstairs on time. I love reading to my kids.

That's all I could come up with. It seems like the work of getting kids ready for school is never done. Though the boys didn't need any new school clothes, they still need new shoes. I think we'll head over to the mall after school. At least we got lucky and have a few years until any of my kids need more immunization shots. That's one tradition they do not like at all! It's hard enough getting them to sit still for a flu shot in the fall!

HAPPY SCHOOL DAYS TO ALL!!!

4 comments:

Jen said...

It always takes me a bit to get the whole bedtime thing nailed too. Especially after a summer of going to bed a little later. My kids start school after Labor day. So late compared to everyone else. I think we are all ready.

Tiffany said...

Ditto on the Father's Blessings. We get to do that this Sunday and also feel so blessed to have the Priesthood in our home.

Can you believe that Keenan still doesn't even know who his teacher will be and school starts on Monday? They post it Friday afternoon. So, I tried to guess what supplies he might need -- and I even went to WalMart!!

And I'm soooo dreading getting back into the early morning routine. But, really Cheryl, only you would think that 9:30pm is not considered going to bed late for kids that have to wake up at 6:45am! I've let ours stay up till 9:30 a lot this summer and there's no way they could wake up at 6:45! I think your kids obviously have your genes of being the Energizer Bunny.

I'm sad I've missed so many great posts this summer. I'm trying to slowly get back to life -- I've been escaping it all summer!

Kristi said...

Can I please borrow the Flowbee? Todd does not trust me to cut his hair, but maybe he'll give it some respect...

Sally said...

Love all of your great ideas and what a darling cupcake...might just have to try those this month!