Thursday, August 7, 2008

Headly-Whitney Museum

I have passed a sign on New Circle Road for years for The Headley-Whitney Museum. Then my friend Jonni and later Nancy took their kids, so I was ready to take a peek at what they had to offer. Tiffany and Savannah met us and we explored the grounds. Then the kids and I toured the museum. It houses bibelots- which by definition are: a decorative or rare object of art, notably small or a bauble, knickknack or trinket, doll houses and other jelwry made and collected by George Headley. His jewelry was made from the finest gold, gems and precious stones.

George W. Headley III (1908-1985) studied art at the Art Student's League in New York and l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He later apprenticed as a designer with the New York Jeweler Paul Flato in the 1930s. In the 1940s, Headley opened his own jewelry boutique in California at the Hotel Bel-Air and cultivated a clientele including such Hollywood celebrities as Fanny Brice, Mae West and Joan Crawford.


After nearly a decade of success on the West Coast, Headley returned to his family farm, La Belle, in Lexington and continued his career designing jewelry and bibelots.
Headley opened his distinctive Jewel Room and Library building on the scenic grounds of La Belle Farm. The museum complex was completed in the 1970's with the addition of the Shell Grotto and the main building. No pictures were allowed in the museum or other rooms, though I took one of Josh by the Shell Grotto (room decorated completely with shells, even the floor is made from slabs of cut coral) before I knew I couldn't take it. I was a bit nervous to have 5 little ones with me while we toured the museum, jewelry room, library and Shell Grotto but we survived, didn't break anything and the kids liked what they saw. I'd say a successful day all around. I enjoyed the tour, but I'd say it was a one time only stop. After we treated ourselves to McDonald's after we discovered our local Wendy's had been demolished and is being rebuilt and ended the day with a movie (Super Mario Brothers) and nap for the girls. Good day indeed....

No comments: