Friday, August 29, 2008

New Orleans

Rich and I had such wild Father's Day together. We spent his special day in New Orleans. Thanks again to Erik & Jonni and Branden & Tiffany for watching our kids so we could go. We didn't worry a moment about them because they were in such capable hands. In the previous post I talked about my feeling of the city regarding Katrina and its current state. This post is just about the trip. While it was rushed, I couldn't think of too many other things I would have tried to fit in. I have no plans on returning, but I was very grateful to see it and experience it for myself. It also was just so fun to get away with Rich and see him in his medical element. I was really proud of him for the hard work he and his attending had put into their power point presentations and talks. There was a tiny bit of drama, but that always adds depth to the story. I had to get through the panic and despair of leaving my camera home. By the time we landed in Atlanta for our layover, I realized that my camera phone and my soon-to-be purchased disposable cameras would have to do. (And they didn't end up to badly.) There also was the short bit of fear as we ran from our streetcar stop to the hotel trying to get Rich to his presentation on time (which we did with ample time to spare.) I guess you could say we were just making memories. So here goes our trip in pictures.10:30 AM: Land in New Orleans. I loved all the Society of Nunclear Medicine signs covering the airport. Conventionsare HUGE for the economy of the city.While there were so many businesses boarded up and buildings still empty, there is growth and hope. The city's theme is: Renew, Rebuild, Rebirth. We checked into the hotel next to the convention center, scoped out the conference, listened to two lectures and then hit the town for a bit of sightseeing before Rich's talk.We went past one of Emeril's restaurants, and saw a lot of crawfish for sale.We grabbed some Mardi Gras souvenirs and masks for the girls.
We walked along the Mississippi River and enjoyed sharing a shave ice.
We waited on Bourbon Street to catch a street car.New Orleans historic St. Charles Streetcar travels over 13 miles from Canal Street, through the Garden district, past Loyola, and Tulane Universities and Audubon Park (the zoo). New Orleans St. Charles Streetcars, like the equally famous San Francisco Cable Cars, have been declared moving national historic landmarks. Streetcars have been running along St. Charles Avenue for over 165 years. New Orleans Garden District was settled in the 1850’s by successful entrepreneurs — the “nouveau riche” of that time. They built large, elegant mansions exemplifying many architectural styles, including Greek Revival, Italianate and Queen Anne Victorians. My favorite part: Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is supposed to be set in New Orleans and there were many similar styles!One other interesting note: As I rode the street car I noticed there were Mardi Gras beads in one of the trees. Upon further inspection they were in nearly all the trees, and on buildings, power line, etc. They sparkled and shimmered in the sunlight reminding you of why people flock to New Orleans in February.4:45 PM: Back to the SNM convention. Rich did a great job presenting his research about PET scans in non-small cell carcinomas in the lungs. I didn't dare snap a picture with my phone while he talked. I took this just when he finished.After, Rich changed out of his suit and I made a quick call home (Kids: Have you bought us anything? Josh: I only want a Braves t-shirt from the Atlanta airport. Trey: I DO NOT want a t-shirt!) Remember Forrest Gump? With the presentation checked off we were in hot pursuit of gifts, sights and food. We walked through the French Quarter towards the French Market. There we found my favorite part of the city by far. Beautiful buildings and a Cathedral.
Saint Louis Cathedral, also known as the Basilica of St. Louis, King of France, has the distinction of being the oldest continuously operating cathedral in the United States, first established in 1718, is the cathedral Basilica in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Located next to Jackson Square, with its statue of Andrew Jackson on horseback, and facing the Mississippi River, the St. Louis Cathedral is one of New Orleans' most recognizable landmarks. It is often used as the backdrop for newscasts and political speeches featuring the city of New Orleans.We stopped by the Original Cafe Du Monde and purchased French Beignet mix to make at home. We ended the night walking along the river and eating some of the best seafood I have ever had. How did I get so lucky?
6:15 AM the next morning: packing and checking out. As we drove to the airport in our taxi, I noticed many, many strange looking cemeteries. (Found this photo online.) In New Orleans they bury their dead in above ground tombs. New Orleans high water table and below sea level elevation prohibits below ground burial. It's the only major U.S. city below sea level. It does have a creepy vibe. No wonder Ann Rice owns homes in New Orleans and many of her fictional stories are set here.While it's good to get away, it's great to come back home. I missed these guys. And I was happy we didn't disappoint them with their new treasures. (Josh: new t-shirt, Trey: Webkinz)

Life is good.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I am so glad we got a run down of this trip. I, too, have never been to New Orleans. It is interesting to see the after effects of Katrina....what devastation still this many years later.

I'm so glad you and Rich were able to have a little get away together. Sorry about the camera...but I think the phone did just fine.