Monday, July 26, 2010

Ohioan


Sometimes things happen in life that just add up to a great story.  Friday ended up being one of those days.  One where the unexpected was beyond my imagination and the twists and turns felt endless.  But I did get a happy ending and a whale of a tale too.

One month ago we bought a used car in Cincinnati.  Thinking we would be really smart, we registered it in Ohio under our rental address. 

The weeks ticked by and Rich informed me when the paper work came in the mail, I'd have to come up to Cincinnati to register the car. 

I hadn't thought of that at the dealership.

The papers arrived and I set a date for Friday to drive up from Lexington and get the new plates. 

Rich and I talked on the phone Thursday night about what I would need to bring and I checked the websites looking for details and printed a map of where I was to go.

Friday arrived and as I began to load the car, I called the closest BMV to our house and inquired what I should bring.

My jaw literally dropped when they rattled off the list.

Before they would register my car, I had to get an Ohio drivers license.  That required:

1.  My Social Security Card
2.  Birth Certificate
3.  Drivers License
4.  Cash
5.  I possibly might need my marriage license to prove my name change

AND

6. I had to take the WRITTEN DRIVING EXAM at a one stop place in a place called Batavia Township, Ohio.

It was 11 AM. 

The exam center closed at 4:30 PM. 

I was 2 hours away from Batavia and I had to swing by the rental house to grab the envelope from Toyota that contained the title.

AND

my birth certificate was carefully stored somewhere in a huge pile of boxes that fills 2/3 of my garage.

I haven't even mentioned the pit my stomach and panic that engulfed me when I briefly thought of trying to pass a written driving exam I hadn't studied for in 17 years, while accompanied by my six children. 

My temporary plate expired on Sunday.

I had officially run out of time and into a huge mess!

I paged Rich, desperate for answers.

I grabbed Zach from the high chair and headed out to the garage (aka: storage unit) and we all started digging and slicing boxes that read:  Photo Books.   We sweat and sweat in the sweltering heat (90 degree, 90% humidity) and finally 45 minutes later found the binder we were looking for and joyfully grasp the needed birth certificate.

12:30 PM:  We pull out of the driveway in fast pursuit of Anderson Township, then Batavia.


3:00 PM:  Pull into the far off the beaten path parking lot of the Clermont County BMV. 

I sign in and am directed to computer screen #8 next to the wall.  The kids sit in the chairs that line the wall.  Zach lasts exactly two minutes in the stroller and then starts screaming.  I unbuckle him and then proceed to answer the questions with him on my lap.  He mainly tries to touch the screen or pull my hair.  Neither one was very helpful.  To pass I had to correctly answer 30-40 questions.  The first three were fairly easy, which made me a little less apprehensive.  Then I got a few doosies. (How long can your license be suspended/revoked if you refuse to take a breathalyzer test?  What is the legal blood alcohol limit?  .02-.08, .05-.08. .00-.08, etc.  How many car lengths per every 10 miles per hour to safely stop?  Can you turn on red light in Ohio?  Legally who has to be strapped in? )  I guessed my way through a few, but also missed 5 questions before the computer finally flashed that I had passed the exam.  Whew!  The biggest part of the battle was over. So I thought.

3:30 PM:  I enter the main building ready to get a number in line so I can get a new license and register the car.

3:35 PM:  The crew and I are out in the parking lot paging Rich.  They will not help me because I do not have my marriage license.  Rich has it at the hospital because he needed it to enroll me in our new health insurance plan.

3:55 PM:  Rich is on his way.  The kids and I are back in the car, A/C blasting, watching a DVD.  I realize I tossed my passport in my bag just in case.  It expires on July 31, 2010, so it's still valid for one more week.

4:15 PM:  I re-enter the BMV with all my paper work and passport and tell her my husband is on his way.  The woman tells me this should work. 

4:20 PM:  BMV front desk lady then opens the car title and sees it ONLY has Rich's name.  Oops.  We had him fill out the paper work for the car because the kids and I were killing time in the car dealership's TV room.  I finally catch a break.  She whips out a pink slip of paper that would grant me power of attorney so I could register the car.  She explains that Rich should fill it out and sign the form, but it doesn't have to be notarized and gives me a huge wink (really, she did).  This means- take the paper out into the hallway, forge your husband's signature and get in line.

4:40 PM: Rich arrives like a knight in shining armor.  He takes the baby out of my arms (which now has two purple splotches from bite marks from the Z-man's sharp fangs).

5:00 PM:  I wipe the sweat off my face and smile for my picture.  They hand me two new Ohio plates and a drivers license.

Mission Accomplished.

I have to say, Ohio must think they have enough residents because they DO NOT make it easy to become one.

I also have to give praise to my kids for being SO GOOD throughout the entire day.  They didn't make a peep during the exam and they waited patiently while we figured out a way to get it all done.  They were amazing.

Thanks to my Mom and Kristi for letting me vent while all this was happening.

And much love to my Knight who raced against the clock to come to our rescue.

I can't believe I'm now and official Ohioan, but with a beginning like that, I'm sure these next eleven months will truly be an adventure.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I am sweating just reading this. What a big ordeal!

I can't believe you passed the test with those questions. I don't think I would have..........especially while having my hair pulled and my arm chewed on.

Once again, you truly are superwoman!