Thursday, December 11, 2008

VPE Winter Program

Tonight our family went to the Veterans Park Elementary School Chorus Winter Program to watch Trey's performance. The 3rd, 4th and 5th grade chorus students sang, danced and played instruments. We loved watching Trey and it was wonderful to have Rich there with us since he has always been on call or working during all the programs in the past. Trey did a great job and looked handsome in his uniform and Santa hat. The performance was short and sweet- thirty-five minutes. That's my kind of program, especially on a school night. I was impressed with the show and they were serious when they called it a winter program. They did not mention Christmas or Santa or Jesus in anyway, sticking to politically correct seasonal songs. They sang Winter Wonderland, Chim Chiminey, Reindeer Jive, Jingle Bell Rock, Let it Snow, Frosty the Snowman and Winter Fantasy. The quote on the program read, "Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or simply the beauty of winter, may the peace and joy of the season be with you and your family throughout the coming year!"
The program was action packed featuring dancers, flags, costumes, actions and an instrument section, but I missed hearing the old familiar Christmas carols that stir the soul and awaken the Christmas spirit within. So to add to the special night, we went home, sat around the tree and sang Christmas songs from the Primary Songbook and read The Christmas Orange, which makes me cry every time. Yes, I love Jingle Bells and Snowmen, but my hope this year, and every year, is to teach my children about Christmas- about Christ- and encourage them to find their own Christmas spirit in their hearts that can last long past December 25th. Chim ChimineyReindeer JiveFrosty the SnowmanWinter Fantasy

5 comments:

Ned and Erin + kids said...

Hey I cant believe how big everyone is. It looks like a fun place to live. And by the way your stockings are very cute. I love to have some kind of matching theme, but not the exact same. I got mine from Crate and Barrel, but had to find a few of them on ebay. I love them and it was well worth it.

Vicki said...

I love that Trey is in chorus. It is awesome and he looks so cute in his Santa hat. Ben wore his Santa hat last night to our ward Christmas Party. Many times when I read your blog I know that if you all still lived here our boys would be such great buddies. Maybe at B.Y.U.?!?

Meg and Ben are in chorus also, and Ben is playing Santa Claus while Meg is playing a shepherd in their musical next week. It should be interesting.

I think it's sad sometimes that everything has to be "Winter" or "Holiday." Christmas should be taught as well as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. That's my soap box for the day:).

Jen said...

What a serious "Holiday" concert. I get so sick of that, SO SICK OF THAT!! But, at least there was something. I'm so glad you went home and sang primary songs as a reminder of the true meaning of Christmas and to find that true Christmas spirit. Fun pictures, as always Cheryl.

I love your stockings. I have been trying to get those for 3 years now, but the ones I want are always sold out. I'm so glad you finally have the stockings you've been longing for!

Kristi said...

That looks semi-professional! What a great school...

Tiffany said...

Trey looks so handsome and grown up! It's funny how I've seen you so often lately, but I've hardly seen Trey!

It makes me sad that Christmas is being demoted in so many ways. I remember the jewish school we attended in Chicago had a hannukah program and to be Holiday-ish we sang Frosty the Snowman. I thought it was crazy when we moved to Utah and sang Silent Night at a Christmas program!

It was so fun to see you today! I love the stockings, they turned out great, the two ballerinas really make it and are such a reflection of your two little girly girls!