Saturday, December 20, 2008

Polar Plunge

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Last Saturday was busy. Basketball for the boys in the morning which lasted three hours, a birthday party in the afternoon and hopes for making the 'Swim with Santa' at our neighborhood pool at 5 PM. Our pool was covered this winter and a heater was put in after the local year round swim club offered to fit the bill and rent the facilities allowing them a place to practice. The residents have open swim hours, but we had never gone to try it out.

The traffic around the mall was insane at 3 PM, making getting to the birthday party at Gattitown nearly impossible. What should have been a five minute drive turned into thirty-five when you added in all Christmas shoppers and Cats fans heading downtown for the men's basketball game. Swimming with Santa would just not happen. But swim we still did. We finally made it to the pool at 6:45 PM. Though Santa was long gone, we had the place nearly to ourselves (one other child and a lifeguard) and it was perfect. I had worried that we would all freeze to death and swear off swimming until spring, but the water was warm and I don't think I had a goose bump until I got out- a far cry from the summer days spent shivering in the fridge water playing with the kids.I had worried the girls would not be happy in the big pool since the kiddie pool was not included in the covering. Boy was I wrong. They played with their toys on the steps and Brynn proved to be a little mermaid wiggling her shoulder and kicking her feet as I held her and swam.Josh MattTreyJoshWhile I loved swimming, I love this almost as much. It was a high power heater/fan that blasted hot air into the building. I think I know what I want to ask Santa to leave for me under the tree. One of those. Goodbye cold hands and feet and hello tropical hot breeze. Heaven.

No comments: