Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thanksgiving Day Four: Around Lexington

SATURDAY
This was Jeff and Sarah's last day with us and their flight left Lexington at 12 PM. I knew just the thing to wrap up their time in Kentucky- Breakfast at the Track Kitchen at Keeneland and watching the thoroughbred race horses workout on the track. I call ahead and made sure they would be open. I was assured they would be. Rich took Josh and Matt to basketball practice at 9 AM while the rest of us piled it the cars and headed to the track. Well, all my fancy planning was for not. The kitchen was CLOSED and there were no horses running. At least Jeff and Sarah were able to see the grounds which are lovely and get an idea what horse racing entails. My mom, dad and Rhett watched races at Keeneland two years ago when they came out to visit. So instead of eating grits and biscuits and gravy we hit McDonald's for all All-American feast before Jeff and Sarah jetted back to Milwaukee.
Did I mention that I do not enjoy goodbyes? They stink. Jeff and Sarah will not be coming home for Christmas because Sarah has to work, but at least we drew their name for Christmas, so we will be sending a bit of Christmas love their way in the coming weeks. WE LOVE YOU GUYS!
After Jeff and Sarah left, the rest of us went to see Bolt.
I will be honest, I didn't have high hopes for an animated show about a dog and a girl with Mylee Cyrus's voice (I'm not into her....). Plus the girls didn't fair so well watching Madagascar 2: Escape from Africa a few weeks earlier, but boy was I wrong. The movie was DARLING! I laughed as much as the kids and the girls were perfect. Kaitlyn fell asleep near the end and Brynn sat on my lap and watched the show. It really was a treat to see a show all together.You must know that a visit from the Grandparents MUST include a trip to Chuck-E-Cheese.
We had been saving up our tickets and got major prizes for the girls- a Barbie and a Barbie horse that cost a measly 4,500 tickets. Yup. That was about a years worth of gaming. Thanks to all who happily contributed their skills to the new toys. The girls thought Christmas came early. I wished I could have hidden the toys under the tree!And last but certainly not least, my mom and I went to see Twilight. I had no plans of seeing it, but when we went to Bolt that afternoon Rich asked me if I had planned on going later that night. Sounded like a great idea to me. I really did like the show, my mom, not so much. I thought Edward and Bella were perfect and believable. I liked Charlie and Bella's mom and thought Jessica was funny. Alice was perfect and Emmet was fine. The rest I had problems with. Esme was okay, but the remaining characters... What were they thinking? Jasper looked like a possessed zombie, Carlisle could not have had more powder on his face and Rosalie was truly awful. I didn't really like the 'bad' vampires either. Everyone just wasn't as pretty as they should have been. All in all I liked it, but there were a few laugh out loud moments when I shouldn't have been laughing. Like when Edward was sucking Bella's blood after she was attacked and Carlisle told him to stop, he was killing her. Man, I am sure everyone in the theater heard me giggle. The special effects were quite poor and the flashback scenes made me think of Kiddie Kandid shots in sepia tones. But I was entertained and that is what I was paying for. It was fun and I was very happy that Rich knew exactly what my mom and I needed.

The only bad part of the day? Jeff and Sarah were already back in Wisconsin and time was running out for the Salem bunch. Family visits are never, ever long enough.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Too bad about the racetrack.

My mom took Davis to see Bolt on his birthday and she was pleasantly surprised as well. They were the only people in the theatre and Davis spent all day telling people he got to go to a private showing of the movie for his birthday.

Felt much the same as you did about Twilight. I went with my mom as well. We both enjoyed it however, despite the low budget cheesiness of some of it. So glad you were able to get away for a few hours.