Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

How do you begin to document four jammed packed, whirlwind days of good food, family and fun when you have 647 photos to sort through? Yes, I do love to take pictures, but that can cause problems when you are trying to decide which ones to post. But feel no pity for me. I think massive photo overload is a problem I will never complain about. I am a true believer that you can never have too many photos of loved ones and special times. I think most would agree.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We were delighted to share the big day with my parents, brother Rhett, brother Jeff and his wife Sarah along with Todd, Kristi, Anna and Kate Hamilton. We longed to also be close to the rest of my family, Rich's family and the many dear friends we have shared this special day with over the years. They certainly were not forgotten. Our hearts were full as we counted and gave thanks for our many, many blessings. So, with that said, I guess the best place to start is simple- the beginning.


WEDNESDAY


The boys were out of school on Wednesday and they spent most of the morning asking how much longer they had to wait until our family arrived. Jeff and Sarah were our first guests. They flew from Milwaukee, to Detroit, to Lexington. I was busy doing a few last minute clean ups and failed to hear my cell phone ring twice. Jeff and Sarah arrived 25 minutes early and we were picking them up. They got to spend a bit of extra time at the airport as we raced over to get them. They surprised the boys with a special edible treat from Wisconsin. Once we were crammed into our van (eight people, seven seats) and on our way, it was official. The four day party had begun!


Jeff read a few stories to the girls. Tthey loved his rendition of The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything.They warmed up their football skills for the championship game the next day.And you know we had to EAT! Round One: Qdoba.
I took them on a driving tour of Lexington. The Lexington Cemetery. Henry Clay's tomb.
Ashland: The Henry Clay Estate
We also drove past Mary Todd Lincoln's home, Rupp Arena and Thoroughbred Park. On our way back to campus we finally got the phone call we were waiting for. My mom, dad and Rhett were minutes from my house. They had flown into Cincinnati, rented a car and drove down to Lexington. The kids could not wait to see them!They beat us by a few minutes, but luckily Rich was home. Our happy reunion was in my beautiful garage, but no one seemed to mind. There were hugs and kisses for all.Matt and RhettBrynn introduces my mom to Gobble Gobble, her new best bud.
The girls said hello to Grandpa.
Daddy's girl (I can honestly say that since I am their only one!)The Crew
We all talked on Kurt's Christmas mission tape. Feast Round Two: Chili's. (I failed to mention that Round One: Qdoba was only three hours earlier, but who is counting? It's the holidays!)
Nighttime funThe boys were thrilled Rhett could help them advance on their PS2 games. Rhett= Lifesaver and Hero.We ended the day with a true battle- The Game of Life. I had a new version we opened tried out. Every fifth spot you could sue another player for $100,000. It was hilarious. Battle lines were drawn and money was tossed back and forth. Fun, but I think we'll play our older game next time.
While we played downstairs, the girls and Grandma snuggled up and watched Enchanted.

A perfect day to start their visit.

No comments: