Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Stake Conference

This past weekend we had the privilege to have Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles preside and speak at our stake conference.

When I got word that he was coming, I was so excited to attend and hear him speak. I love listening to our church leaders during General Conference and couldn't wait to hear his message in person.

It is not often that we have an apostle come to Kentucky. In the eight years we have lived here, the only other time I remember one coming was back in Louisville in 2002 when Elder Holland came. It is a rare and true delight to have them come to us.

I had not planned on attending the Saturday evening adult session knowing babysitter would be scares, but as luck would have it, while I was visiting teaching my friend who we were visiting asked if I would like to share her baby sitter. It took a fraction of a second to say yes. It was a perfect set up. (Thanks Ashlee!)

So for the first time in my memory since we had kids, Rich and I attended the adult meeting. We were blessed again to sit by friends that saved us seats on the third row (Thanks Hydes!) and I felt humbled to be so close to an Apostle of Jesus Christ.

When Elder Scott stood at the pulpit and spoke, the familarity of his voice and tone made me feel peace. It was so amazing that he was there, right in front of us. He took a very casual approach to his delivery of his talk. He had a power point presentation that had statements he had written and wanted to share with us. He then asked for volunteers from the audience to read the topic and then asked if anyone would like to share something that would go along with the statement.

You could not have paid me enough to stand in front of the large group and Elder Scott and share something, but it was a great way to get us all thinking what we personally thought about the topic. I was scribbling down ideas and thoughts trying to soak it all in.

My favorite thing he shared was about our personal character. Elder Scott said,

"The way we build character is by making constant, correct decisions. This does not mean all of the choices have to be hard ones. With each decision we are adding layers. Many think that character is built when we have a difficult trial in our lives. This in not the case. A person's character is shown when a trial comes, it is not made."

"One day while pondering I realized that there is a relationship between faith and character. The greater our faith is in Jesus Christ, the stronger our character is increased and increased character enhances our ability to exercise even greater faith."


I loved these statements. They were just so logical and sound and TRUE. I knew the things he were sharing with us were from Heavenly Father. I know now even more than before that we do have a living prophet on the earth and that we are so blessed to have righteous men that lead and guide us and help us grow in faith and character and understanding.

As we sang the closing hymn Abide with Me 'Tis Eventide, the words touched me for I knew that night I had been spiritually fed and I truly did want that spirit to abide with me. I hope I do more each day to increase my character and faith.

The next day we were able to attend stake conference as a family and let the boys hear Elder Scott's message about strengthening our families, especially our children. After the meeting we waited and the boys were able to shake Elder Scott's hand. I hope it is a moment they will always cherish and never forget.

This Thanksgiving, the two things I am most grateful for are The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and my family. What else on earth could compete with these two priceless, precious things? I am indeed blessed and very grateful to have both in my life. And I know just who to thank.

No comments: