Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Countdown

thrill
(thrĭl)

v.

To cause to feel a sudden intense sensation; excite greatly.
To give great pleasure to; delight.


My current state: THRILLED.

WHY? In a few hours my parents, two of my brothers and a sister-in-law will boarding plane headed to ME! It has been EIGHT long year since we shared Thanksgiving with family. So this event is long overdue. Yes, I have been cleaning for weeks and yes, there is still work to be done, but with each project I cross off my list, I get the feeling that they are really coming, here and it makes my heart skip a beat. I am so excited to spend the day with my little family and my mom, dad, brother Rhett, brother Jeff and his wife Sarah. Todd and Kristi and girls are coming from Louisville too, so it will be an incredible bunch.

You might think by having it here I have the added bonus of finally having my entire house really clean all at the same time. I say yes and no. I do really think will they notice the scrubbed floor boards or just dusted lamp shades? Nope, but it does give you reason to knock out all those projects you just hadn't gotten around to doing, too bad it just never lasts long with many little kids waiting in the wings to undo your most recent project.

I have been busy, but that is a great thing because it makes the days go by faster and there will be less time to sit and wait. Waiting is never fun. I don't think I've sat down much over the past couple of days. In fact today I went to the neighborhood Wal-mart, Target, Super Wal-mart, a gas station (for a specific candy) and had the plumber come to check out and fix our 'haunted' pipes (he did). You would think after all and with it now past midnight I would be ready to crash. Again, nope. I am just so excited for tomorrow.

What makes it special? Is it the clean sheets, carpet or van? Is is the stuffing, turkey and homemade rolls? Is it that we all get time off from work and school? All these things are a part of this holiday this year, but all that really matters is that we are together. Yes, there will be family members missing, but they will be here with us in our hearts and probably on the phone.

Man, I love Thanksgiving. Great food, friends, family and a time to stop and think about all my blessings. That could take a while. Thank heavens they are almost here so I can stop and sit still, think and enjoy them, my life and realize even more all I have to be thankful for.


Happy Thanksgiving to all.

4 comments:

Marcie said...

I'm so excited for you. Enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

we had Thanksgiving at our house this year too.... it seems like we have been getting ready for it for a month and it took about that long to get everthing clean...
I didn't realize it had been so long since you had thanksgiving with family, that must have been really hard. I was telling Traci that i get the most homesick on thanksgiving...
enjoy your visit with your family- eat up then hit the stores!!

Laura F said...

Happy Thanksgiving, guys!!! That's so exciting you were able to have your family in town to share it with you, that really does make it feel extra special. Can't wait to hear how it all went. :-) Any news on where you'll be next Thanksgiving yet?

Sally said...

I bet you had such a great holiday! Family is the best...especially when your away from home. Can't wait to see the detail!