Saturday, November 15, 2008

Movie Madness

Today was a historic day for the Jackson clan. We attempted something we have NEVER done before. Ever. We all piled into the van and headed to the movies. All of us. Yup. Every seat in the van was occupied.

Okay, so that opening statement is only partially true. Rich and I have gone to movies together, just not in a very, very, very long time. We have taken the boys to movies when we were home in Utah. And Rich has taken the boys to a number of movies here in Lexington since I consider that precious boy bonding time, but this still was a monumental day. It was the girls very first maiden voyage to the theaters and my first time to watch a show on the big screen in Lexington. Yes, the girls are 2 1/2 and we have lived here just about that long and while I catch every movie that comes out of DVD, watching them when they are released is not my thing. Why? Babies baby. They do not like sitting still, not talking, being awake in a dark room and lets be honest, if they don't like it, then I won't be liking it either. I will surely end up roaming the halls and foyer, but this isn't church folks, so I wouldn't be pleased wasting my time or money while the rest of the group finishes the flick.

In fact all this movie talk got me thinking and I added up in my head and came up with only two shows I have watched in a theater while living in Kentucky these past EIGHT years. Two: Castaway (thanks to Jim and Marcie for watching Trey on my birthday!) and an animated film the boys and I watched at Trevor Underwood's birthday party. So this was a huge day because now I could say three.The weather was perfect for a show- cold, windy and rainy, not happy pleasant fall football weather. I had high hopes.I guess all of us did. And the fact we got a huge popcorn probably increased the smiling a bit too.The girls loved all the lights, posters and people.
Brynn really loved this dog on display and was ready for her close up in front of the camera.
Off to the movie: Madagascar 2. The girls are in love with Enchanted (and I have been humming the music all day until I finally got on iTunes and bought the songs so I could sing along with words!) so I though, maybe, just maybe we could make it through since it was animated and filled with animals.Nope. They were good, I'll give them that. But after 50 minutes no gloriously drawn, hysterical creature on the screen could keep them focused on the film. We could have made it if I had brought more candy and sippy cups and there were less people in the theater to annoy, but when Kaitlyn has boldly told you 'Go Home' loudly at least three times and Brynn is standing in the aisle staring at the poor guy on the back row and telling me she's wants to leave, I'll obey. So we ended up at McDonald's down the way while the boys finished the film. And that was just fine by me. Where else can you get free hamburgers and ice cream cones with your Halloween coupon book? (12 coupons for a dollar. I LOVE those things!)Plus, how can you beat making your own pickle sandwich? Hard to compete with I know. Maybe we'll have better luck next time. But for now, I think I'll just stick to DVDs.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I was sad to get to the end and realize you didn't make it through to the end of the movie. At least you made the attempt....and ice cream isn't a bad second choice.