Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day


de·moc·ra·cy
\di-krə-\
noun


1 a: government by the people ; especially : rule of the majority b: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

Today is the day to let your voice be heard! It is our duty and a privilege to go to the polls and cast your ballot. Every vote matters because that is how a democratic government is created. We have the opportunity to elect our officials. We can take part in forming our government. Even if you are not passionate about either candidate or do not feel strongly about any issues, you need to embrace this opportunity and vote. It is a blessing and something men and women, especially women, have fought for.American women had a long, uphill battle to fight for women's suffrage. Not until 1920 were all American women allowed to cast their ballot. During the beginning of the twentieth century, as women's suffrage gained in popularity, suffragists were subject to arrests and many were jailed. It took an international crises, World War I, for the claims of the suffragists to be taken seriously. Only when the labor of women was need in war time, did the federal government act on considering national suffrage for women. Even though the suffragist movement progressed slowly, their efforts did have an effect on the government. The movement brought the inequality of voting restrictions to public attention. This public attention combined with the heroic service of women in industry during World War I resulted in the passage of the 19th amendment to the Constitution of the United States, in 1920. The 19th Amendment provides men and women with equal voting rights. After 90 years, the goal of suffragists was achieved.I love the words of President Abraham Lincoln spoken in the Gettysburg Address and they seem appropriate today.

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal-- That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

GO VOTE!!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I love all of your halloween pics. I still haven't posted mine. YOur kids looked great and I love the pirate ship pumpkin. I love those pumpkin carving kits.

Thanks for the mini history lesson. I'm so grateful for those who came before me and fought for so many different rights and freedoms. I did vote and from the looks of things a lot of others did as well. Too bad my candidate probably won't win. Oh well, we need a kick off to the second coming sometime! :-)

Kristi said...

I am embarrassed to say I did not vote. Todd and I realized too late that we would actually be in CA on election day. To redeem myself, I did help campaign for Prop 8 by putting leaflets on cars in Costco. Does that count?

Laura F said...

Holy cow, Cheryl, you're the only person I know who would take all five kids to the polls with her! I guess it's okay if you have to, but good for you! I bet they loved seeing how things work, and you get the chance to show them a great example. :-)