Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Baptism

Joshua Nance Jackson

















Matthew Nance Jackson


2 Nephi 31: 11-13

11 And the Father said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son.

12 And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.

13 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.

Eight short years have passed since we welcomed twin sons into this world. At the time, I felt overwhelmed with three children under age two. Kentucky was our new home and that change added with babies, medical school and thousands of miles between Louisville and loved ones often made the future look unending and bleak. But the sun wasn't hidden for long. Our families pitched in day and night with my two new bundles of blue and soon forever friends were found in the Bluegrass making life more than bearable, but enjoyable. Looking back, I have a hard time recalling the sleepless nights and stressful days. The good times and memories far outshine the hazy, foggy, difficult ones.

Before I was a mother, I never could have fathomed how much happiness having children could bring. My children have been my greatest joy, and yet I worry, pray and fret over them and my parenting skills more than any other endeavor I have pursued in my life. They are my heritage, my legacy and much of their success or failures will be in part to how I lead and guide them as their mother. That is a weight that can be hard to bear. But through it all, I see the boys growing, maturing and developing into sweet, kind, loving, honest and righteous young men. Thanks to an amazing husband who is there at every twist and turn life places before us and the guidance and direction the Gospel, prayer and scriptures bring, the boys have constant compasses for good each and every day.

What a blessing to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Daily I thank my Heavenly Father to have Gospel knowledge and principles in my life that help me make decisions for myself and my family. Is a road map for life that will get us safely through our mortal journey.

When Josh and Matt's baptismal day arrived it was a day of celebration. Surrounded by our little family, grandparents, uncles and friends I proudly watched my two sons made promises to our Heavenly Father that in turn opened the door to return to live with Him one day.

As I witnessed Matt and then Josh, dressed in spotless white, enter the water with my sweet husband, it brought tears to my eyes. Their decision to be baptized not only pleased their earthly mother and father, but their Father in Heaven as well.

I am usually not an emotional person, but when my mom played the song Baptism and I sang the simple words about Jesus being baptized in the Jordan River, my heart was touched and my testimony of the truthfulness and importance of baptism was strengthened.

Congratulations Josh and Matt on your wise decision to be baptized. I love you, more than you can know.


Baptism

Jesus came to John the Baptist,
In Judea long ago,
And was baptized by immersion
In the River Jordan’s flow.

“To fulfill the law,” said Jesus,
When the Baptist questioned why,
“And to enter with my Father
In the kingdom up on high.”

Now we know that we must also
Witness faith in Jesus’ word,
Be baptized to show obedience,
As was Jesus Christ, our Lord.

Matt, Porter Grigg and JoshBishop Blodgett (who came straight from the airport after a LONG trek home from the Philippines!) Rich and Andersen Grigg Ellie, Tiffany and meRich, Branden Rosenhan, Dad Jackson and Drew MillarRhett and JeffTiffany, Ashlee and meAnnMarie, Andersen and Coolidge Grigg, Ashlee, Drew and Mac Millar, Rich and me, Tiffany, Ellie and Branden Rosenhan

5 comments:

Marcie said...

What a beautiful day!

Everyone looks amazing and your words were eloquent as usual.

Congratulations!

I am AMAZED at how much you were able to pack in with family there, what fun things you hit. Actually what is more surprising is that all of it didn't send you into early labor. You have got to be exhausted.

You look great!

Jana said...

It looks like you had a wonderful baptism for the sweet twins. I love the #8 cookies. We love you boys and are very proud of you. We are sad we had to miss it.
Jana and Brad

Amanda said...

Congratulations, Matt and Josh!

Sarah said...

We are so proud of Josh and Matt! Sounds like it was a great day! I was disheartned when I realized I couldn't make the baptism (after we'd planned since Thanksgiving to be there), but when I saw my Grandpa's eyes widen then soften in a smile at my Grandma's viewing when he realized how far I'd come, I was so glad to be there, for him, and for my Grandma.

Jeff had such a great time! He got individual video clips of Matt and Josh saying how glad they were to be baptized and to get the "present" of the Holy Ghost (in Matt's words; we've got to send you the clip).

Love all the pictures; the family shots on the grass are beautiful. Love the shots of Rich and the boys in white. How nice of your Bishop to come right from the airport to make it.

I didn't know you sang and mom accompanied. How special.

Miss you guys! (and thanks for sending Jeff's shirts (all washed and everything) and the shot glass. He said while ripping open the package, "I sure hope there's a surprise in here along with my shirts!" Sure enough there was. You made his day!)

Kristi said...

In true Cheryl fashion, I felt as though I was there. What a day! Your boys are so awesome that I must admit I always thought they were WAY OLDER than 8. So mature. Missing you!