Monday, May 2, 2011

A Royal Day

The sky was dark and the house was quiet.  Rich was awake and downstairs in the kitchen making his daily breakfast of oatmeal.  The DVR had been working overtime recording all the earlier proceedings since 3:30 am on two channels!  It was eleven o'clock sharp in London, six am in Cincinnati.  My eyes were glued to the screen.  I was trying to get every detail and fact.  The bride was beautiful.  Perfect in every way and looked liked a future queen.  The dress was elegant and timeless, and I have to add, reminded me a bit of mine.  The groom surprised me in his red, but it looked regal and handsome.  They do make quite the pair.  It is more than outward looks though, its that they truly do love each other.  The sweet smiles, the whispered words, they quick glaces all showed their decade long courtship has proven they were meant to be together.

The wedding itself was perfect.  The long walk up the red carpeted nave of Westminster Abbey.  The green maples that lined the pathway.  The glorious music.  The bells, oh the bells!  Every wedding should have bells ringing like that.  The simple, 'I will' and the roar of the crowd that could be heard through the ancient walls.  The building itself is magnificent.  Those sweeping camera views from above and from below nearly took my breath away.  It's architecture at its finest.  The guests dressed up to the 9's and all the crazy hats!  Derby day just can't quite compare to those stunning Philip Treacy fascinators.
 
The royal precession was amazing.  All the horses, the military men and the carriage.  I think every girl deserves a horse drawn carriage on her wedding day.

Then top it all off with two kisses from the balcony!  Wills was blushing and Kate gave a good hearty chuckle after the second.  It made me grin and wish I was there with the million other people in London taking it all in.

All the pomp, pageantry and traditions that only a royal wedding can bring, but every girl can appreciate and love.  I got sucked right in.  I didn't watch any pre-wedding things on TV, but I did a bit of my own research on the Internet to brush up my English Royalty knowledge.  From Diana's dress, to a look back on King George VI's rise to power, Queen Elizabeth's own wedding and coronation pictures, to a photo gallery of Westminster Abbey, the United Kingdom has quite the history.  I ate it all up.

I loved every second of the wedding, watched WAY too much of the pre-wedding broadcast that I conveniently recorded and smiled all day long thinking about the the lovely wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Hopefully a happily ever after will now follow.

Jolly Good!














* photos via People.com, AP, Huffingtonpost.com and Internet

1 comment:

Sally said...

I too, loved every detail of the day. Just spent it wishing I was watching it over tea with some girlfriends.
Certainly a memorable day!