Friday, May 13, 2011

Camp Kern

Trey had a fabulous time at Camp Kern.  He and his entire fifth grade from Summit Elementary, plus the entire fifth grade from Ayer Elementary, were there from Monday morning until Wednesday afternoon.  The weather was a bit hot, but they didn't get any rain, which was a blessing. 

He had a blast and I was SO proud of him for documenting it so well with his two little disposable cameras he took with him.  I guess all that photo taking rubbed off on him.  We managed to get detailed description of what he did, ate and slept, but the pictures made it even better because we could see where it all happened. 

(I had a good laugh when Josh asked to see the pictures and I told him I had dropped them off to get developed.  He looked confused.  I guess he can't remember before digital!)

The camp looked really nice, much nicer than I had at girls camp.  He was paired up with kids from both school in his cabin.  They had bunk beds with mattresses and slept in their sleeping bags.  He said they always had electricity and A/C.  He said he was hot, but slept well both nights.

They ate all their meals in a dining hall and it was all you can eat.  They had mac and cheese, hot dogs, waffle sticks, cereal, grilled cheese and tomato soup, spaghetti and bread sticks and had brownies for dessert.  I think I got the most details about what he ate!

He certainly need a good scrub when he got home.  The showers were very cold, so he said he was extra fast getting clean, but I wasn't surprised even with two quick washes that his legs were coated from the ankle to the mid calf in a thick layer of mud.  I threw out two pairs of socks that were beyond repair and made sure he scraped off the dirt in the yard so he wouldn't clog the shower with it. 

They really kept the kids busy.  Trey's two counselors were high school students from Anderson.  He had fun digging for fossils, completing his archery unit, going on a hike and playing tug-of-war and other games with the other campers.  He took picture of a boys who's shirt was covered in mud from 'full contact' football they were playing.  I was glad Trey did not end up looking like him! 

Trey said he missed us, but wasn't homesick.  Which is exactly what we had hoped he'd say.  We are glad he had a great time and that we've got him safely home.
 Trey's cabin

 Camp
Dining Hall
 Very cool Wright Brother Propeller


 Digging for fossils

 Archery
 Campfire (Trey learned a lot of fun songs he's been singing since he got home.)
 Hiking

Overlook
Authentic log cabin
Tug-of-war

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I am dying at how well Trey documented the trip in pictures. Signs of a good mother that he noticed all the beauty in nature......one of my wishes for my own kids.

What a fun experience.....every boys dream.

Although the caked mud on the legs description did make me think I would not be happy if I was the one who had to drive the kids home from the trip:)