Saturday, August 8, 2009

Salem Days 2009

Every year since we moved down to Salem in 1983, the last hurrah of summer I looked forward too and cherished was Salem Days. The second Saturday in August is a city wide celebration for all.

Ah, the memories.... The 1 mile children's race around the park, the longer Fun Run my mom would participate in and that I would later regularly run. My Senior year in high school I won a first place medal for my age group. The free pancake, eggs, bacon, milk and OJ breakfast at the park cooked by city council members who shook your hand as you went through the line and usually knew your name. The parade that almost always involved one of us kids, candy throwing that had no limits and an innumerable amounts of baseball teams riding in truck beds. The pageant that night capped off by a firework display. When I was young, Salem would hold a city wide garage sale with the proceeds going to the fireworks. That's a community effort of giving if you ask me. One year, when I was about eight, I was one of the few lucky ones that boarded the 'Showboat' that crossed the pond during the program. It was a dream. I still remember the details years later.

And every year, when that special weekend rolls around, I wish I could be back home, at least for the day to soak it all in. Two years ago, I was so lucky. This year Jeff flew in from Milwaukee, Greg and family drove down from Salt Lake and my mom and dad and Rhett enjoyed their company.

Maybe next year it'll be my turn. I've got my fingers crossed.Salem Fun Run (5K)The runners line up on the starting line that overlooks the pond and Knoll Park. (60 degrees. Burr!)
The paradeRhett in the parade (Rhett's FB page tonight read.... "Rhett Nance just want's to say that Salem Days is probably the best day in the whole world. Everyone just comes together for awesomeness and funness. You can quote me on that if you want.")The family

I love and miss you all.

4 comments:

traci said...

I am here. You mean I missed all that fun? I can testify to to weird cold weather today and yesterday. I went to the Highland Fling last Sat. which was the Highland Days. We saw the parade, ate junk food, and the kids went on rides. I hope you are doing well my pregnant friend.

Kim Cannon said...

I feel the same way that you do about Salem Days. I am always homesick and wishing I was there at this time of year. I am glad Jeff got to go though. Salem was an amazing place to grow up!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Oh- I remember that! My grandparents used to take us to Salem for the festivals... you ever go to Icelandic days in Spanish Fork?
Such fun memories!
Any news on the babys debut? I remember you are due close to Kari's birthday (24th).. best wishes and hang in there!

Laura F said...

Fun pictures and memories! I noticed Greg and Kate popped in at our class reunion and made it into a few of the photos from there as well. They're on our class' blog. Something else I'll maybe make it back to for the next one in five years.