Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spring Break

What a week. It's funny that as I think back on it, the days passed by quite slowly which is rare when you are in vacation mode. My theory of why it felt like we had a longer break is because we had two days packed into one. We started the morning off slow, did jobs around the house and yard, let the girls nap and then had fun filled afternoons. Perfect for this girl who loves to stay up late and sleep in (though early mornings still rule my life 99% of the time). I'll just share a few highlights of the week through pictures.

MONDAY: In the morning I still had my normal "catch-up" from the weekend day. Did laundry, had the boys mop the floor, washed sheets. Their reward: that afternoon we hit the mall and got another hermit crab (we are up to three) and feasted on Chick-Fil-A. Josh and Matt were supposed to have baseball practice in the day but it got rained out. They did have practice that night indoors.

TUESDAY: Morning: Yard work. I loved getting out the lawn mower for the first time this year. Matt happily gathered dandelions and put them on the kitchen window sill for me. Very cute. Afternoon: Chuck-E-Cheese. My kids love this place as much as I love Disneyland. They would spend every day there if they could. Thanks to Greg and Kate's generous Christmas gift card we ate and partied for 2 hours for free. Thanks guys!
WEDNESDAY: Our first big event. Left for Cincinnati just before 1 PM. After getting stuck in construction traffic for 25 minutes finally arrived after two hours of driving. Brynn screamed for a good hour of that. She was not pleased she was "stuck" in her car seat. Ah sweetie, that's the whole point. Went to the Newport Aquarium. It's on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River, but we did enter Ohio as we crossed the bridge to get back on the freeway. It was my third visit. We went with the Alcorns in February 2001. I was pregnant with Josh and Matt. Three years later I met my cousin Tricia who lived in Columbus, Ohio at the time. It was the half way point between the two cities. Since we hadn't been back for years, they boys couldn't remember any of it. It's a great place and well worth the drive.The girls were loaded and set.Trey touched a Horseshoe crab.The girls dig for bones while the boys try to find an otter in its cage.We took a quick break in the Jellyfish lounge.The shark tunnel.When the boys saw the sting ray they shouted, "That's what killed Steve Irwin!"Very cool sharks. Brynn was TERRIFIED of everything! She just kept saying, "no, no" when something passed by.The boys got to even pet a few smaller ones. Good job guys!And to finish it off, they used their own money to purchase a small souvenir. Capped off the night with Wendy's food and McDonald's ice cream. Got back to Lexington at 6:45 PM. Perfect afternoon!

THURSDAY: The boys had a little picnic in my room and watched a movie while the girls slept. Then we went to the Lexington Explorium downtown. Love that my Louisville Science Center pass got us in for free! Spent just over an hour there. That was plenty of time since we had been before and their isn't tons to see and do. A nice event, but not too crazy. Had Wendy's for dinner and rented Alvin and the Chipmunks from Redbox. They boys watched it all night over and over again. Well worth the one dollar we paid to view it!

FRIDAY: Rich was on call that night so he went in to the hospital just before noon. We left for Louisville when he headed to work.Nearly didn't get to Louisville after finding Versailles, KY (my cut through city to the freeway) underwater.
After an insane detour we tacked on 20 minutes of driving through horse country (horse farm after horse farm) which is lovely when you're on a scenic drive and not searching for a freeway sign. Made our way to Midway and finally I-64. The Louisville Zoo!Met up with Kristi and girls and Tiffany and kids. Later Traci and kids arrived too.The rain kept everyone away. That is exactly why I prefer to go when the weather is poor. The Herp Aquarium was empty which allowed me to let the girls roam free. They actually could see the animals. What a novel idea at a zoo....Trey and his best friend Trevor. The #1 thing he misses in Louisville.The rough and tumble bunch.
Partied with Traci, Mallory and the dudes at their lovely home. Boys were hyperventilating from excitement. They love Boston, Trevor and Gage and their Wii. Perfect day!
SATURDAY: Let the girls play while the boys and I cleaned the house and listened to general conference. Rich got home from the hospital around 11 AM. Tried to keep the house quiet while he slept. Later tried to find Josh's baseball practice (Matt needed some down time and had a headache), but after getting some wrong location information, ended up with Josh and the girls at Wal-mart and the mall. Josh was an excellent helper with the groceries and girls.


SUNDAY: LDS general conference. Rich was on call again. Had our home teacher and his family and the Rosenhans over for lunch. A perfect way to wrap a very memorable week. Here's hoping that Rich can get vacation time next year during spring break. He was sorely missed during all our events!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I loved your spring break in review. You are an amazing woman. I know it is just the Jericho-factor, but places like Chuck E Cheese and the Science Center scare me to death--I am always worried I will lose him, or that he will start eating other peoples food--or have a public meltdown and I wont be able to carry him to the car--and yet I see you do it with twin 2 year olds, and I think, I need to put on a brave face and get out there just like Cheryl. Thanks for being an inspiration! You Rock!

Marcie said...

So glad you made it back to the aquarium. Hayden still talks about that place from our visit back three years ago.

I SO sympathize with Brynn crying the whole way. Alice does it nearly every 1 1/2 hr drive back from my parents.

Sounds like a fun and busy week.

Jen said...

Oh how I loved this post because it had pictures of old friends. It was so good to see Traci! I LOVED LOVED Newport. We used to go there all of the time. Your kids are so sweet, Cheryl. I'm glad you enjoyed spring break. It looked like a lot of fun.