Friday, April 25, 2008

Lexington Legends

Right after Trey's baseball team pulled out a win in extra innings, we all headed downtown to the Lexington Legends Single A baseball game. The boy scouts and young men in our ward decided this would be a great activity for the week. I agree. It was perfect weather for baseball. No wind and it had cooled down to a pleasant but still warm temperature. We had been to one other Legend's game a week after we had moved in. Hard to believe that was nearly 2 years ago! The field reminds me so much of the Louisville Bats stadium. I loved going to games there. The Bats are affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds and are a Triple A team. The most memorable game we saw was when Deion Sanders played a game or two for the Bats when he came out of retirement. They had him play for the Bats as a warm up before he made his debut with the Reds. The Legends are affiliated with the Houston Astros.The group sat on the grass. It was past third base next to the wall. It was wild, but the boys were in heaven being with their friends at a game.We could watch the West Virginia relief pitchers warm up. It was cool to hear the pitching coach's directions. Kaitlyn got a birds eye view. We were so close to the players and they all looked so young! It made me feel just a little bit old since I (Rich was too) was chasing her and her the whole game.A ward member had an extra carousel ticket, so Matt went for a whirl.Nearly all the scouts left around 8:15 PM. Since we didn't get there until 7:45 PM, we weren't going to leave when we had just gotten there and there were so many innings left to be played! It was a school night and getting later, so there were few children by the 6th inning. One of the McDonald's Mac Attack guys came over to our group and asked Trey if he wanted to play a game on the field in between innings. Of course he would! He threw eggs to a kid and the other boy tried to catch them in a container on his head. Trey and the other kids ended in a tie 1-1, so they all got little backpacks, cups and silly putty. He was giddy with excitement!And to top it off, after he got back from his field debut, a WV player belted a home run to the left field bleachers which were empty. Trey sprinted toward the ball and beat the rest of the bunch to collect his prize. A real home run ball. Cool.

So we stayed for the WHOLE game. Rich kept saying we were going to leave, but then Trey played in the game, got a ball, and we ran into another family from the ward. The Legends lost 2-12, but we weren't really rooting for one team, just enjoying the night out. After a quick Wendy's run, we got the kids to bed around 11:15 PM. Not too good, but the game was a lot of fun.

Here's where it all turns a bit ugly. Since the kids got to bed late and Rich and I went to bed even later, we were all so exhausted that when the alarm went off around 6:40 AM neither of us moved (Rich is on vacation this week). By the time we woke up, I knew the boys were going to be tardy so I just let them sleep. Actually we all slept. We finally got moving around 8:30 AM and rolled into the school at 9:20 AM.

This week and the next are the CATS testing for the 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. They are the mother of all tests and our school has some of the top test scores in the state, so these are a HUGE deal to everyone at VPE. They sent home notes telling parents to make sure your children get lots of sleep, to not take vacations, or schedule doctors appointments, to come to school early and eat healthily breakfasts. The thing is my kids are in kindergarten and 2nd grade so they spend the day doing random quiet activities and try not to disturb the older students. So you see, the CATS tests are not part of my life yet.

All four of us march into the office nearly two hours late and I sign them in. As the secretary prepares the boys tardy slips, there are two mothers we know waiting to sign in to volunteer and countless employees in the room. One of the moms ask the boys where the Jacksons are off to today. I smile and tell her we are actually just getting there, not leaving. She smiles, but I can tell it's like she's thinking 'Oh really....' The door of truth had been opened and the boys were happy to push it even further. With excitement on their faces and a thrill in their voices, they proceed to tell the ENTIRE OFFICE how they had gone to a baseball game last night and got home REALLY late and that I let them sleep in and how Trey got a ball and well, it just went on and on. Here I am in my work out clothes, hair in a bun, no makeup, signing my kids in 2 hours late during test week and the boys are nearly shouting how cool it was their mom let them sleep late. I just wanted to crawl out of the room and not look back. Thanks boys. I guess weekday Legends games are a no from now on. Oh, who am I kidding. Next time I'll just make sure they say the alarm broke instead of giving the people all the incriminating details.

8 comments:

Laura F said...

No, I agree with you - maybe I'm a little bit irresponsible, but I think the memories made are worth a late day to school every so often. I'm not sure my better, more responsible half would agree with me, but what do you do. Sounds like a fun night!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

oh, that kind of thing has happened to us sooo many times. I hate it when they are just staring at you and you know exactly what they are thinking. We took Kari out of school 2 yrs ago to go on a disney cruise with my parents- it was one of those things I really felt like they needed the time with my family (we went to). When we got back, boy did I get a lecture from Kari's teacher...
We have been to a few legends games with Brent & Erin the park there is really nice. I remember when Deion Sanders played here in Lou. we were at that game.
See ya!
M-

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

oh also- I let the kids all sleep in the morning after the Hannah Montana concert- we got home at 12:30 and Syd was a basket case... of course she bounded into the office with her concert t-shirt on and told them all about it... so you're not the only one :-)

Heather Woolley said...

That's hilarious! I was laughing so hard. You win the cool mom award yet again. You know what really matters--family time!!! I love it and hope to do that for my kids someday! They'll remember that time much more than they will whatever they would have done at school in the two hours they were getting rest. Love it!

Kristi said...

You are so stinking cute. I wish I was as carefree as you are. Look at me, not going to the balloon glow tonight because I treasure the 7:30 bedtime and do not want to deal with tired kids. I just need to suck it up, don't I? What a fun post. It was worth being 2 hours late for such wonderful memories, I think.

Oh, and by the way, I am IMPRESSED that Kaitlyn kept her pigtails in! Yea! I need to make you some more bows....

kara jayne said...

We TOTALLY saw Dion Sanders play when we were in Louisville. We must have been at the same games. Too funny. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Jen said...

I love when you get tattled on by your kids. I think that you are great for letting your kids enjoy the game, and how great that Trey got to be a part of all of that! Awesome memories for them.

I have learned however, and you know how open and honest(probably too honest) I am about things, that sometimes it's okay not to explain every detail.

I work out in the mornings so when I drop Owen off at preschool I am always in sloppy workout clothes, with raccoon eyes(I'm horrible about taking off my makeup at night) and totally look like the nastiest ghetto mom. They all probably feel sorry for Owen. At least you can put your hair in a bun. My hair is short and so I can't pull it back so it just sticks up everywhere. Honestly Cheryl, G H E T T O mom!

Oh well, it keeps me laughing to myself.

Sally said...

Good for you! What a fun memory you created for your family. I hear that schools are being ridiculously strict on tardies and missed days.

I am sure they have to be but seriously is missing a few hours of 2nd grade really going to matter that much?

Your the coolest!