Monday, April 7, 2008

The good and bad of spring

This time of year seems to bring out the best and worst of the world. I decided to document a few that came to mind and were part of my reality this past week....
The Good:April brings DERBY celebrations. I love them all. At what other time can you find a full size horse in Wal-mart? Really. Also, Thunder Over Louisville is Saturday. If you are even remotely close to Louisville, head to the riverbanks of the Ohio for the best firework show of your life. Promise. I cannot get enough of the gorgeous flowering trees and plants I see everywhere I turn.
Bright yellow bushes.White treesDaffodilsPale purple Azalea's
And what I call popcorn trees. Our neighborhood is full of them. I start humming the song every time I see them.Spring has also brought back the birds. Their songs were so loud when I went out early this morning. What a happy start to the day! This shot shows my mom and dad robin in the neighbors yard. I spied them today when I was out digging weeds. I knew it was about time. So I crept up to the top of the deck and peered through the slats. A perfect blue robin egg lay just below in the nest tucked under the floor. Hurray! The only bad part is now the worry will set in. I just can't let myself get so attached this year. I was a basket case last year worrying that these sweet babies I watched grow would end up dead in my yard. No problems last year with 3 different families. I'll hope for a repeat performance! This nest in the front held two sets of baby robins last year (5 birds total). It seems some insane sparrow type birds took over today. They kept piling all this trash on top. We'll see how it all turns out.April means LDS general conference. When we first moved to Louisville we listened to April conference on the computer with our dial up service. It was rough listening to 8 hours with an 18 month old Trey crawling around and a very pregnant me on the floor. We decided then and there to sign up for Dish Network because they have the BYU channel. What a blessing that has been to hear talks, conference, devotionals, and many more great programs the past 7 1/2 years. One of my favorite parts of conference is inviting different families over to watch it with us. For years and years we would have the Madsen's and Hamilton's and other 'Ville families over for lunch and then viewing conference. Yesterday, even though Rich was on call, I invited our home teacher and his cute family and the Rosenhan's over for some Cafe Rio type food and then watched the last session together. Such great times. This is a tradition I will always keep.
The Bad:
Last week I found this awful little critter in my laundry room. Yes, that is one ugly tick. I just felt grateful that I didn't find it later buried in one of our scalps. I had never seen a tick up close before, so after calling my dad and taking some shots and emailing them to him, and googling the word TICK I knew for certain that I had indeed found one. Don't worry, after the camera clicked this shot it was a quick whack, whack, whack with the cup and the creature was no more....Dandelions. To say I hate these weeds would be such an understatement. Even the word despise might not be strong enough. I dug this whole bucket full just this morning. Gotta love my handy knife. Anyone who has lived by me will have seen me on a near daily basis digging those nasty weeds out of my yard. Growing up I had to dig a bucket of weed often as a summer time job. Good idea on my mom's part. It rubbed off on me and I can't stand a yard that looks ragged. I have even been known to dig my neighbors weeds, but only if I know they can't see me or are not home. Really, if those things go to seed, they soon be new ones on my side of the lawn. I really am turning into my mother- who I once watched as a child pour gasoline (that was before Roundup came along folks...) on our neighbors sidewalk in the dark of night with hopes of killing their massive amounts of unsightly weeds. I too would do the same. No joke. I discovered the ants were back today. When we went to visit Utah in August we came home to an ant attack in our kitchen. All the warm weather seemed to call them back. Today I watched them crawl out of this tiny crack by the window in the computer room. So gross and creepy. I quickly found my incredible Terro liquid ant killer. They eat it up, take it back to their nest and poof- dead ants. Love the stuff. I haven't seen any since 5 PM. The poison is awesome.Flooding. We had MAJOR rain this year. I looked in the paper on Sunday and it said we have had 21 inches of rain in 2008. Wow. No wonder everything has stayed wet and muddy for weeks. As I left Lexington on Friday headed for Louisville I found the main road in Versailles, KY had a river through it. After some insane detour through an industrial area I ended up being quite lost in the middle of horse country. Half of the horse farms were under water. It was a mess. Thankfully we finally made it to the freeway after passing through Midway, but took a different route home later that night.And I had to throw these photos in. The girls were out with me while I dug weeds and Kaitlyn was soon asking for a drink of water. Not wanting to turn on the hose and create even more mud I told her I'd get a drink for her from inside. I turned my back and soon heard a funny sound. I turned back saw her spitting water out of her mouth.No way did she really put this filthy water in her mouth. I wouldn't be surprised if she has diarrhea in 24 hours.She was quite unfazed and just laughed if off. What a silly, silly girl.
*Update 4/8/08
- Spied two baby robin eggs in the nest today. Gotta love twins!
- And thankfully Kaitlyn's dirty mouthful of water didn't give her dysentery. Yeah!

4 comments:

Laura F said...

I am SO SO SO with you on the weed thing, Cheryl. I almost always do a pass or two of the weed 'n feed on my neighbors lawn with the spreader when we do our own, just in case, and I spent every morning in O'Fallon pulling weeds out of our lawn. My mortal enemy, however, isn't dandelions. It's crabgrass. I can't stand the stuff. We have clover throughout our lawn here in Provo, and I may just leave it. I haven't decided yet.

So funny about Brynn drinking the outdoor water! I hope you're not up tonight!

Marcie said...

No time to comment on all your fun "goings on"....but I love reading it. Glad you are back.

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

A couple of years ago I discovered that if you spray bug spray on the outside of your house around the foundation that it helps to keep the bugs out.. it comes in a giant jug at Home Depot..
I love all the flowering trees too..
You would hate our yard.. it was a farm for years and years and has only had grass on it for less than a year- weeds are an understatement, but not too much you can do.. we'll get it fixed up eventually..

Holly said...

I love all the pictures of your flowers--and have taken some of my own. The popcorn trees are my favorite--I just cant get enough of them! They make me happy.

Thanks for all the fun spring pics!