Sunday, April 27, 2008

Prayers

As we pulled through the parking lot leaving Chuck-E-Cheese, I spotted a darling little bird hopping on the ground. I couldn't pull my eyes away as it was so tiny and beautiful. As our car approached the bird my mind started to fully process what was going on. It wasn't what I had initially thought. It suddenly hit me that this was a baby bird and it was hopping because one of its stick like legs was broken. As my eyes scanned around I realized that the larger bird close by was its mother. My heart ached as mothers do as I understood the grave situation this little bird was in.

It wasn't until a passing car nearly ran over the baby that I felt compelled to stop the car. What could I do. Nothing of course, but I just wanted to see the mom touch her baby. Bringing the baby the comfort it needed. It was far too young to be out of the nest. It's folded new wings would never carry it off the ground. I don't know if the mother bird was unable to see her baby, or if she was just unsure how to help her child, but it clucked and the baby would signal back. I desperately wanted to see the mother somehow move her bird to safety, but the mother kept moving further away. Soon the father bird appeared and yet the baby still was there in the middle alone.

A black shadow came upon the pavement as a large Raven swooped down almost grabbing the baby bird in its claws. I made a full sprint towards the baby as the mother had moved over to some bushes. This little thing was not going to be killed while I just stood by. It couldn't move fast on just one leg and soon I had scooped this little baby into my palm. It was still and silent and warm and soft. As I held it, tears nearly filled my eyes as I knew I could really only bring temporary aid. I brought it to the car and showed the boys who were sitting in silence taking it all in. They stroked the bird and couldn't believe how lovely it was.

While I wish I could have taken the baby to safety, I knew it would be wrong to take it from its parents who were in the air and ground still searching. I took it back to where I had initially saw it next to some wood chips and trees. I couldn't move it further as I didn't want the mother and father to not see it and softly placed it on the ground. I knew I could do no more. I couldn't heal its injury. I couldn't keep the prey away. I couldn't make its parents find it and I certainly couldn't find any nest to put it back in since I had searched already. I simply had to leave it be.

As we pulled away I felt pain. A real sadness knowing that this tiny bird's life would soon end. Certainly something so small and helpless didn't stand a chance making it long. It broke my heart.

Trey's little voice came out from the back. "Could we pray for the little bird?" He had tears in his eyes. "Of course we can pray," was my answer. "But you have to know that Heavenly Father cannot fix its broken leg. Let's pray that it can find its parents and that it won't be in pain." That is all I could hope for. I didn't want to lead them to believe that all would be perfect, because I knew it wouldn't be. After a few seconds Matt said, "It will go to heaven." "Yes, Matt it will." I said softly.

And yet that answer didn't help my troubled heart. I truly wished I could have said a prayer and made it all better. That I could have a little miracle and find a happy ending. It made me think to how I pray when disappointment comes into my life. How often I am simply praying for miracles that simply cannot be. How I beg for things to work out how I want them to be. I thought about Elder Bednar's talk from the recent LDS general conference which he stated:

"The object of our prayers should not be to present a wish list or a series of requests but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is eager to bestow, according to His will and timing. Every sincere prayer is heard and answered by our Heavenly Father, but the answers we receive may not be what we expect or come to us when we want or in the way we anticipate.

Prayer is a privilege and the soul’s sincere desire. We can move beyond routine and “checklist” prayers and engage in meaningful prayer as we appropriately ask in faith and act, as we patiently persevere through the trial of our faith, and as we humbly acknowledge and accept “not my will, but Thine, be done.”

I knew right then and there sitting in that parking lot that Heavenly Father wishes he could make it all better. He is our Father. He feels our pain. He wants us to be happy and yet part of life going through hardships and trials. We are here to be tested and tried and must learn how to use prayer for comfort, to exercise faith when things look grim and know that in the end everything will work out.

I love the scripture Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God.” It brings peace to my soul because I know that Heavenly Father understands. He knows what it best. And through it all, if I can just have faith to believe and hope and love and pray, that all will work out. It really will. How blessed I am to have this knowledge. Even in this small situation it took away the ache. I am grateful to have prayer. I have felt its strength throughout my life. It has lifted me when I was down. It has brought me comfort I needed. It has brought answers and peace. I am grateful that I have children who teach me and even in everyday moments can strengthen my testimony of faith, hope, love and prayer.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

You should give a talk about this. You have such a way with words. Very inspirational. And, look at you, you rescued a baby bird! You can be in the crazy Kristi Elvira Club now!

kara jayne said...

Such insight! I love how you were so touched by that little bird. We have found three dead baby birds in our yard in just the last week. It is so sad, but has provided some good conversations with our kids. Thanks for your thoughts

Heather Woolley said...

this made me cry. I needed to read and remember these thoughts on prayer tonight. Thank you Cheryl.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's heartbreaking. My girls would have been so upset over that.

Nothing like a child to remember to pray.

Shelly said...

What a wonderful story. Tears welled up in my eyes while reading it and I felt as though I'd seen the poor bird suffering. I love that Trey suggested praying for the bird. I love the childlike innocence and faith. Thanks for sharing this.