Monday, April 21, 2008

Gaining Knowledge

I was at my sink the other day and through the kitchen window spotted this magnificent bird sitting on my fence. It only was there for a moment and swiftly flew away. Wanting to know the name of this lovely creature, I hurried to the computer and Googled 'black bird with orange and white wing' and instantly found this identical photo of a Red-winged Blackbird. Isn't it interesting how with a mere click of a mouse I had found more information on this little bird than I could possibly remember. And it was strange that I didn't even know this type of bird existed before I got a glimpse of him in my backyard.

The bird made me instantly think back to my zoology class at BYU. The big project of the semester was to find, identify and record 50 different types of birds in Utah. Talk about an overwhelming project and one I didn't feel a passion for, but as I took the time to merely stop and look around for birds, I found there were new types every place I went. There were these small, sweet things that made lovely sounds and songs. Birds that had colorful hues or funny beaks. Birds that lived in swamps and birds that lived in barns. Suddenly all I noticed was birds. And it was something I enjoyed.
As I drove through the back roads toward my parent's home in Salem, I scanned the area for new discoveries. I wasn't disappointed. In the marshes of Salem pond, a place I had driven through a thousand times was the most glorious bird swaying on the reeds. A Yellow-headed Blackbird was my new found friend. I couldn't pull my eyes away from it's bright face and delicate features. It was regal and noble against the dry, muddy landscape. Every time I passed through I would pull over and try to see it again.

Soon the list was typed up, the class was complete and my 'to do' list had been checked off again. One more subject and class I didn't have to take again. I was that much closer to graduation.

And then the searching stopped. I didn't look around as much. I lost the drive to seek new found friends. It seemed that even the joy I found in the hunt couldn't keep my interest once the goal had been reached.

Then eleven years later, my eyes were opened again and I remembered how much I loved finding new friends in the sky that share my world. It made me question why I had lived in Kentucky for 7 1/2 years and I had never even looked to see what new varieties I could find here.

I pulled up the list. I looked at the pictures. Now I'm left wondering what kind of bird is nesting in my front yard. I wonder which type of hawk I saw soaring over the ballpark. I wonder what bird can make such a lovely, soothing call in the morning. I can't believe I could be so ignorant. That these many happy little parts of the world, birds with cheerful songs and bright colors could have simply gone unnoticed.

Why is it that we often don't appreciate the beauties of this world? These things that Heavenly Father has given us that can bring pleasure to our lives. How can we can live our lives and not fully appreciate its wonders?

I think it's all about gaining knowledge. We have to first see. You have to realize what you are missing. Then you have to search. You have to seek it out and discover. Then you have to learn. You have to really want to know. And then comes the hardest part. You have to not forget.

I know it goes far beyond birds. There are so many things I have loved in this life. Things that I wish I could simply cement inside my brain. Books that I have read, quotes I have heard, people's voices and laughs, moments with your kids. And yet, how long do they stay fresh. How soon are they dimmed and later forgotten.

It seems that the Red-winged Blackbird taught me a bit more than its name. It reminded me to keep looking. To appreciate every day, every smile, every hug, every kiss, every picture scribbled with crayons and sticky fingers. That I need to take a second glace to discover things I might have previously failed to see. To find ways to serve others or someone who needs a friend, to give my husband that extra squeeze he might need after a long day, or stop moving and give my child a listening ear instead of a push towards bed.

I need to keep hunting. I need to keep learning. And I never, ever want to forget all I have been blessed with. That is what makes life sweet, the simple moments we will forever treasure. Because if I fail to notice, it might just fly away and I would never know what I had missed. We all have those things. Just open your eyes and look. Take in the lovely view. It's right there in front of you. I promise.

8 comments:

Laura F said...

Love the post... I used to keep a bird book by my kitchen sink just in case I saw something I wanted to look up, but it's long since been replaced with the more mundane. We watched Mr. Magorium the other night, and although I didn't love the movie, I loved the part when natalie portman tells him how she wants him to live, and he says "oh, but I have." What a great legacy to lifelong learning and seeing the little things!

Marcie said...

Great post. The past few years I have also become a big fan of bird watching. Living out here we see birds that live near the marshy areas of the lake. Like Pelicans, Cranes and Canadian Geese.

I think it is yet one more sign that we are getting old. Bird watching?! It's true.

Stephanie said...

Well said! Thanks

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

I loved every bit of this. I was going to comment earlier but had to run, but I have been thinking about it all day. We should never stop learning-that is such a good lesson and one that I need reminding of a lot.
It reminded me of a talk I heard a while ago. I looked it up here is the link...
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=1fef945bd384b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1
It just talks about continuing to learn always just like you said.
Thanks again for some food for thought today!
p.s. I'm going to look for posters tomorrow- I'll call you - and grab some pins for you!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=1fef945bd384b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

sorry the link won't work- anyway it was by Marion D. Hanks called "Good Teachers Matter"
See ya
M-

Holly said...

How beautiful. For some reason, this season I just cant stop looking. It is like I see God's hand in everything, and the beauty is magnificent! Thanks so much for sharing. . .

Laura F said...

Oh Cheryl, we had the most beautiful bird run into our familyroom window - it was killed instantly. I felt so awful! Tiny little yellow thing... it was funny that I kept thinking "i wonder what it is?" and finally looked up my bird book. Anyway, I know, it's sad it died, but I also am totally laughing here at the irony of nature THROWING itself into my windows to get a little attention... okay, that's morbid, but it's late here. Thinking of you! :-D