Sunday, December 2, 2007

Stake Conference

We counted up tonight and Rich has been on call six of the last nine nights. It really has been crazy around here, so to find out that it was Stake Conference this Sunday and I would be going it alone didn't make me that excited. Saturday night I was up with the girls in the middle of the night and when I got one back to sleep the other would sit up and cry. At 3 AM I finally brought them both into my bed desperate for some rest.

This morning I knew that 2 tired babies wouldn't equal reverence for 2 hours and that I had to find a way to go without them. We all got up and dressed and after Rich got home from the hospital, ate breakfast and was ready to lie down, I put the girls down for their nap and just the boys I went. I knew that only hearing 1/2 of it without Brynn and Kaitlyn would be better than wrestling them in the hallway for the full 2 hours

It was so wonderful to be there in church since we were stuck home last Sunday after the kids bouts with throwing up. I was dying when Josh started to ask me how much longer it would last when we only had been there 20 mintues. I have got to toughen my kids up. As I sat there and sang the Christmas hymns I found was I was looking for, that special peace this season brings.

By the time the stake president got up to talk time was running out. He shared some kind words to a counselor that was released because of his upcoming move and then he talked about one thing with his precious few moments. He talked about how our Savior was born in a stable, how his life was one of kindness and service, how this season we should bear our testimonies and share our light through serving and loving others.

I have had this on my mind all week, and to hear it said again- loud and strong from my stake president made my heart burn. It was touching and sweet and I know that this year is the one when my kids need to see what it really is all about. I hope after FHE tomorrow night and in the three weeks before we leave for Utah I can set time aside each day to teach my children more about our Savior and why we celebrate Christmas.

When we got home Josh begged to watch the movie about the lonely old man and the little girl with the lost mittens. I told him I would love to watch Mr. Kruger's Christmas with him. As the night wore on and we didn't watch it, I promised we would tomorrow. In Matt's sweet bedtime prayer he said, "And I love the story about the lonely old man and his cat and the girl with the lost gloves. And how he doesn't have any friends, but that you are his best friend. And that he found happiness in the end." What sweet words from my little Matt and what a memory since I think he's only seen it once and that was last year. It shows that children are always watching, learning and figuring out life.

I too hope we can all find him this Christmas season. I think we are going to start looking tomorrow!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

So glad you felt the Christmas Spirit today! Jeff and I had a wonderful Sunday today too. With the new snow on the ground, we've gotten very excited for Christmas; only three weeks until I get to finally meet your wonderful family!

Jeff and I borrowed Mom's Christmas tree to squeeze into our little apartment. It looks better than we could have imagined and fits quite nice. We don't have Mr. Krueger's Christmas, but we watched a movie about a man that loses all his money, tries to commit suicide, is stopped by an angel, and finally realizes It's A Wonderful Life.

Lots of love to you and the kids. Jeff is nearly as excited as Matt to see you all.

Marcie said...

Matt is such a sweet boy. I don't think my kids have even seen Mr. Krugers Christmas. I think we will watch it tonight for FHE also. I am proud of you for finding a way to go to Stake conference. Stake Conference is so hard with little kids.

Laura F said...

I love that Matt remembered the movie in his prayer! ...and how long are you going to be in Utah? Somehow it never clicked until tonight, even with your previous posts, that you were going to be in town over the holidays. I think it's because *I'm* not used to being here. :-)

Cheryl said...

Larua,

We fly in late on the 20th and leave on the 28th. We will be SLC on the night of the 26th through the 27th. It is going to be one wild and furious trip, but I'll see you for sure. It's not like 16 W. is THAT far from 38 W. You know, like maybe 20 steps. It will be wonderful to see you and your darling kiddos. Shelly's baby girl too!

Heather Woolley said...

I loved Matt's prayer. So cute. We've watched Mr. Krugers Christmas about a half dozen times already. Kamae just loves to know that the little girl's real name is Kamee too. She loves to conduct the choir like he does and wants to see the end part when Mr. Kruger talks to baby Jesus. Great holiday movie. I love Christmas movies and have been watching them since early November!