Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Whistle Stop



With our move date looming in the coming weeks, I knew it was now or never to visit a few places I had never checked off my 'must do' list.  Swim team had wrapped up, so on a cloudy Wednesday morning I packed up the kids and headed west on the Bluegrass Parkway.  The drive was picturesque Kentucky.  Rolling kills, green fields and tree, tobacco crops that were beginning to turn yellow and even a huge patch of sunflowers were seen by the wayside.  Then the skies turned an ominous dark grey and as we merged onto I-71 South we were hit by a torrential downpour that brought the freeway to a halt.  Luckily we were just a few exits away from our destination, Glendale.

The storm kept rolling north and the skies cleared as we entered the quaint town.  I had heard about this place years ago.  The Whistle Stop is a family own restaurant and famous for their local cuisine and scrumptious pies.  The town looked like a movie set- small, old fashion and lovely.

We got a table in the back and placed our order:  Fried green tomatoes, fried pickles, fried cheese.  I just had to try it.  We also ordered fried cornbread, corn pudding, fried chicken and two sandwiches, and open faced roast beef for Josh and Kentucky Hot Brown for me.  I could have passed on the fried green tomatoes and cheese, but the pickles were amazing, especially in the dipping sauce that I am sure was nearly all mayonnaise.  My sandwich was delicious.  I had not anticipate that, but wanted to try it before I moved away.  The kids were very well behaved and Zach occupied himself with a spoon and ice chips.  They liked their food and even asked if we could come again. 

We left full and happy and ready to continue our our journey.  Next up: Fort Knox.  Yup, the very place you dreamed of going as a kid, to where hundreds of millions of dollars of gold is stored in a deep vault.  Still sounded cool to me.  And there were tanks and guns involved so I certainly had Matt and Trey's attention as well.








1 comment:

Kristi said...

Whatever I don't believe your kids ate all that stuff. Beautiful photos and collages!