Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Bright New Day

Every morning the dark skies slowly lighten, then begin to glow and then burst with sunshine as the magnificent sun makes its entrance declaring a new day. 

Each and every time it is a renewal.  A brand new beginning.  A gift for us to use to make a fresh start.

When I saw the orange and yellow tinted sky this morning and the sunbeams breaking through the surrounding grey storm clouds, it reminded me of Trey. 

There was a bit of darkness last week regarding his current friend situation and now the sun has boldly come forth showing us all that the night has passed and it is a new day with bright future.

Just hours after I posted my feelings from our lunch date, Trey strode in the door with a broad smile on his face and waving a paper in his outstretched arms.  He happily exclaimed that he had made the Morning Show team.  He would be broadcasting the school's news every Tuesday morning.  There were four other kids assigned to his day and one just happens to be an LDS boy, James, that is in a different ward, but in his same class.

I knew this was his chance to make some new friends.

The weekend got better when we met new families at the boys' soccer games and realized they lived just down the street from us.  More friend opportunities.

Sunday Trey was surrounded by friends at church which helped him know that there are kids that like him and want to be around him.

Monday he told me that he sat by James in the lunchroom and played with him at recess.

Tuesday night he made another new friend at Cub Scouts and discovered that he lives close to our house as well.  He is in fourth grade, but it is yet another boy who he can talk to and see at school.

Then there is the fact that Trey's 11th birthday is fast approaching, giving me a great excuse to invite these new found fellas to our house for a party.

It's incredible how much can change in one week.  We went from a low point to a high point in a very short amount of time.  But regardless of the length of the struggle, I know Trey did learn from the experience.

Friday night Trey and I had a wonderful heartfelt conversation about how he was feeling and what we could do to make the situation better.  I know Trey knew that I understood how he was feeling, but also that I knew it would get better. 

In each instance when a new friend was found, I was counting my blessings.  I know Trey was too.

It's a great feeling to see how much better the year in Cincinnati looks already for Trey.  I know he'll have a lot of fun over the next nine months.  But the most important thing I can see that has happened is that Trey will appreciate these boys and their friendships because he knows what it feels like to go without. 

I know going through tough times does make us more aware and sensitive to other people's feelings.  When you know what it feels like to be alone, it makes you more willing to let others in to your social circle. It can make you more kind, more friendly and more outgoing.  Especially when you have a nice and supportive peer group in the end.

Friendships are critical at Trey's stage of life.  And the ability to make new friends and developing the skills to be personable and friendly is an important lesson of life to learn.

Trey's world is looking quite sunny.  Often it takes a bit of darkness to fully comprehend and cherish the light.  And man, is he loving the sunshine and the new day ahead.

No comments: