Friday, September 24, 2010

Mr. Vice President


Who would have predicted this day just two weeks ago when I ate lunch with a lonely Trey and I worried and fretted about his happiness here in Cincinnati?  That day feels like a lifetime ago since many things have transpired since then and most have been very pleasant surprises. 

First, Trey made the Morning Show team and presents the news with his group every day Tuesday morning which is broadcast live to the entire student body. 

Second, Trey has made so many new friends and I often have to send Josh out to find him at night so he will come for dinner. 

And now today we had another little miracle.  Actually one so huge that I'm sort of in shock of how it all came to be as I sit here and type. 

It started out a few weeks ago when Trey stayed after school for the student council meeting.  He brought home a few notes which I briefly looked through and then they got stuck on the fridge where they were almost forgotten.

One morning last week as Trey was ready to walk out the door, Trey asked me if it was the day the student council form were due.  Dang it.  It was.  I had written a note the day before to remind me to have him fill them out, but once again it had slipped my mind.  For a frantic seven minutes I scribbled my name on every entry (treasurer, secretary and vice president- only a sixth grader was allowed to run for president) and Trey and I quickly talked through the reasons he was running, what he planned on doing (working with the PTA on a fundraiser to purchase bike racks for the school) and what he hoped to accomplish (something to do with increasing school spirit and unity within the student body).  Trey wrote as fast as his hands could move and told me more than once all the stuff didn't quite sound like he came up with it himself.  That was okay, I was sure the other kids had bit of help from their folks too.  Without one brief moment to proof read or spell check, he flew out the door with three minutes until the tardy bell rang.  He almost made it, but one was one minute late.  His first tardy of the year, but we got those darn paper filled out and ready to hand in.

Fast forward to this week when he stayed after school once again for a meeting.  He came home with a surprised and dumbfounded look on his face.  Yes, there was a student council meeting, but it was so the students running for student council could share the ideas with the group and teachers and give a brief speech.  Trey said his heart was racing as he thought of what to say on the spot.   The other kids had typed up notes.  I guess Trey just spoke from the heart.  He also found out that you were only supposed to sign up for ONE position, not three.  Since he had my signature on every form, they put Trey in the Vice President race.  It had only ONE other entry.  A sixth grade girl who had been secretary in 4th grade, treasurer in 5th grade and had come prepared that day with a typed speech of why she'd make a great VP. 

I was dying while Trey relayed the events of the meeting with me.  Man, did we look like a forgetful bunch.  We signed up for every possible race and then failed to prepare something to say.

Oh well, I was proud of Trey and his efforts to run.  We both had been a bit absent-minded about the whole process, but he made it to every meeting and did what they had asked of him.

Then Trey came home from school today. He marched in with a cute smirk on his face and a light in his eyes.  " I am the new Vice President Mom, " He proudly declared.

I still am not sure how it happened.  I guess Trey worked his magic on the group and when they voted last week they had been won over.  I do know that Trey will work hard, he'll appreciate the opportunity and do his best. 

Now we'll have to look into pricing bike racks, talking to the PTA president and buying a school spirit shirt.  Sounds like a good list to me.

Way to go Trey.

Go Summit!!

Go Bees??

I think they are the Bees.  One more thing to add to the list.  I'll have to check that out as well. 

Love you Trey-man!

7 comments:

Marcie said...

Way to go Trey! That is seriously awesome!

What a confidence booster also that he made up a winning speech on the spot.

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Yay Trey!!
Amazing story!

Kristi said...

Yea for Trey! What a relief....

Brittany said...

That is so awesome!!! Way to go Trey!!!

Tiffany said...

YEAH TREY! That is such awesome news and I'm so happy for him, especially after how concerned you were for him just a short while ago. Being a mom is hard! And Moving and making new friends is so hard and I'm happy the boys are adjusting so well.

I love that any time I'm having a rough day I can read all of your inspiring words and be uplifted, you truly are the most amazing woman and mother in the world and I admire you so much! Not to mention miss you like crazy and wish I was there exploring cincinnati with you! is it really only nine months until you move back??

hope you guys are all doing well, the girls look so adorable in all the pictures, savannah pointed them out in all of the pictures as I caught up on your blog! she tells me every day that she misses kentucky- i didn't know three year olds could think like that!

miss you!

tiffany

Sarah said...

Last week I told my supervisor this story of Trey being elected, even while being so new to the school, and she is impressed! So neat!

Sarah said...

Oh and you'll have to tell Trey I was once vice president of my elementary school, too!