Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Random bits of life....

Yes, we are alive and well here in Lexington.  When a sweet friend called today to ask if we were alright since I haven't posted anything new in few weeks, I knew it was time to at least write something.  I certainly have not been avoiding my blog.  Blogging has been on my mind.  I have no less than twenty posts with pictures uploaded waiting for words and the push of the publish button.  So, why not write?

My answer is simple.  I've been trying to get more sleep.  When we met with the Bishop for tithing settlement in December he made us set goals for the new year.  My personal goal was to go to bed when Rich does.  I have been trying to be better since he finished his test and is home more, but this means no late night blogging.  This is usually the only free time minus kids when I can write.  The extra sleep has been good for the body, but bad for the blog.  No worries, posts will wait.  And they will eventually get up for all to see.  The pictures pile up and I feel the need to document, but sometimes it just has to take second place.

While I've been away from the keyboard, much has happened to our family.  We got spectacular news on Friday, May 28.  Rich passed his oral board exam he took in Louisville on Wednesday, May 26.  Let's just say I am glad we only had to wait 36 hours for the results, because Rich was in a panic about whether or not he passed and the more he though and the more questions he looked up on the computer regarding the test, the more nervous he became.  We had a true celebration on Friday night and we are still celebrating even now.  Rich is board certified radiologist and won't have to take another test for TEN YEARS!  Yes, it's that huge.  He spent the past four years preparing for this exam, but over the course of the past 12 months, his dedication to learning the material was astounding.  Every waking minute this test was on his mind.  Every free second was filled with reading text books, looking at images and watching endless videos from previous CME courses.  The night after the test I looked over to see Rich sitting on the couch feeding Zach and reading Sports Illustrated.  It was strange to think that this could be possible, let alone permanent.  No more cramming at every baseball game, listening to lectures while he lifted weights or rode the bike, no more review courses or traveling here and there trying to glean every bit of knowledge and facts the human brain could absorb.  Freedom, relief, and proof that prayer and fasting brings blessings- that's what passing this test meant.  It's a glorious feeling.

Along with the good news of the test, the boys said a sad farewell to Veterans Park Elementary school last Thursday.  I attended all the end of year festivities- Lunch on the Green, Park Day, retirement parties- and ate lunch with the boys as often as I could.  I can't say enough about VPE.  To say I love it, just isn't enough.  The teachers and staff there have embraced our family.  They have helped my boys reach for the stars and dream big and then provided ways for them to succeed.  Their philosophy is grand: Watch Us Shine.  And you know what, you do.  They work hard and then reward their valiant efforts.  The PTA's fundraisers are out of this world with participation and funds raised, and every cent is put back into the classrooms where the students benefit.  I don't know if I'll ever encounter another school like this, but I know over the past four years, we have enjoyed every minute and loved every teacher and faculty member we've met and worked with.  My weekly lunch dates enabled me to have direct access to many of the staff members.  This time spent inside the school helped me get to know so many amazing men and women that give their heart and soul to the kids.  VPE, you will be sorely missed.

Not only will the school be missed, but our ward and neighborhood and our life here in Lexington.  I LOVE Lexington.  It has been my favorite place we have ever lived.  I love our home and our friends.  The only thing missing is our family.  If they were here, I'd never, ever leave.  It's a beautiful, wonderful place.  I love the horses.  I love the Derby.  I love the seasons.  I love being in the Eastern Time Zone.  I love cardinals and hearing their lovely call.  I love hot pink azalea bushes.  I love magnolia trees.  I love fireflies.  I love the diversity of people.  I've learned to cheer for both the U of L Cardinals and the UK Wildcats.  I smile when I see the fried okra in the Wal-mart deli section.  I chuckle when the checker asks how I fit all the groceries in my "buggy" (cart).  I don't even mind the humidity anymore.  I love that my family is tight knit since we've had to rely on each other over these past ten years.  I love so many things about Lexington and Kentucky and it breaks my heart to leave, even if it's just over the river in Ohio.  Rich said that Kentucky is America's hidden gem and Lexington has been our Camelot.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

With the end of school, summer is officially here.  June ushered in swim team, baseball playoffs and days home with the kids, all while keeping the house sparkly clean for showings.  It also brought hot humid days, plenty of sunshine, afternoon showers, nests of baby robin eggs, fresh strawberries to be picked, corn on the cob, crisp sweet watermelon, Tiger's Blood shaved ice and my beloved fireflies.  I think heaven will have fireflies.  They are beautiful creatures that I can't get enough of.

No big news on the house.  It is still for sale.  We have had eight showings in a month, but no offers.  We finally started getting feedback and though it was all positive, the right family just hasn't found this home yet.  We had two showings last week and have scheduled an open house for this coming Sunday.  I just hope there are still buyers out there now that the tax rebate offer has ended.

We signed on our rental house in Cincinnati two weeks ago.  It is wonderful that Rich will have a place to live come July 1st when his fellowship begins.  The family we will be renting from had us come up on Saturday, May 29 for a BBQ and they invited three families from the ward.  We conveniently met the Elders Quorum president and the Relief Society president, so we'll have familiar faces when we attend church for the first time.  We are excited for our year in Cincinnati.  Anderson Township will be a great fit for us and we've only heard good things from various neighbors, residents at UC and UK.  You know it's a wonderful family place when residents finish their training, sign on with the hospital to be an attending and decide to not move to a new spot.  As much as we are excited for this new adventure, I don't mind staying put here in Lexington through the summer as it gives us a pool, more space and friends for the kids.  It will be a different story if we are in the same position in August.  If we can sell it by then, all will be well.  If not, I might start freaking out.

The other problematic element in our life is Rich's car.  Our hand-me-down from my dad is nearing 18 years of wear and tear and I'm not sure how much life is left in its leaky when it rains, starting to rust, body.  We took it to the shop last week and after four days, they said they couldn't find anything wrong.  I don't know how they could miss the separating tires, the lack of cold air in the A/C and the inability to start on hot, muggy days.  The fact the mechanic is having a hard time diagnosing  these sporadic problems makes us think a new vehicle might be in our future. 

On the up side, I've had a lot of extra time with Rich driving him to and from the hospital a few days this past week.  On the down side, I managed to get us (minus Rich) locked out of the house this afternoon after I forgot to grab the one working garage door remote out of the Pilot before he drove to work and forgot I only have a key to the garage door since my regular house key is in the lock bock for Realtors.  Nice.  Thankfully we were loaded with drinks and goodies from our pool stash, had shade underneath the deck and had a working cell phone.  Rich cell phone doesn't work in 99% of the hospital and I managed to call the completely wrong pager three times, but after a prayer said by Josh (he suggested it) I called the clinic, whose number I have memorized, and then after a bit of transferring around the hospital, I was connected to Rich.  He saved the day and drove home and let us in.  Don't feel too bad for us though.  While we waited the boys played baseball in the neighbors backyard with friends, Zach ate bits of candy bars and mini Oreos as he crawled over the towels and the girls ran through the sprinklers.  Not too bad of a deal when you are trapped outside.

Matt and Trey's soccer season ended a few weeks ago and Josh's baseball will soon be coming to a close.  His team will likely have their last game of the season this coming Thursday.  They have played hard and yet their record is a dismal 1-18.  Yup.  Only one win.  Their first playoff game was on Sunday, which meant Josh would be missing.  I'll never understand why Sunday is treated like a second Saturday here.  The team and coaches have been great about Josh and our no Sunday baseball.  I love that people appreciate and respect our values.  It's been a great teaching opportunity for our boys and one that I know will last throughout their lives.

Zach is getting BUSY!  I documented him around the house a few days ago, recording all his favorite places.  I am not sure why he falls in love with every dangerous spot in the house.  His favorite haunts now (which I make sure he can't get to) are playing by the toilets, trying to get into the Tide, crawling to hot water heater, pulling on the phone cords, opening the cupboard under the kitchen sink and is passionate about climbing the stairs.  Wherever he is, I'm always only one step behind.  He's always on the move, but is so pleasant even when he's hauled here and there all day long.  He has four teeth and got his second hair cut this past Saturday.  He's the most well dressed baby in the pool because he's also the most well covered baby in the pool.  His smooth pale white skin is safely hidden under a wide brim hat, long sleeve rash guard and swim trunks that go past his legs.  His face, neck and legs are then lathered in sunscreen.  Rich's said he doesn't look like he's ever seen the sun.  Good.  My sun avoidance techniques are working.

There's our life in a nutshell.  Good.  Busy.  Happy.  Well rested.  I had better get to bed though, otherwise all my previous extra sleep won't amount to much when I get little tonight.  Zach does not sleep in.  Drat.

I'll end with one more thing.  I have to give a huge shout out thanks of to Kristi, who found out from Marcie, about Blogger's new uploading tool that can be found under the Settings section.  It uploads pictures way faster, the spell check is much better and the spacing never gets squished together!  Love it!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I was beginning to wonder about you too! Good to hear from you! Thank you for the info on the new loading tool. It is soooo much better!

Marcie said...

I was worried too. But I knew it was your last week of school.

First off, CONGRATULATIONS to Rich and all of you. What a relief to have that big test over with. So much family and personal sacrifice has gone into it all. I am very happy for you!

Good luck with the house. I haven't shown our house once in the past three weeks. Which has certainly made me slack off a bit on "keeping it ready". Not sure what we are going to do about it. However, it doesn't really matter when ours sells. Yours is a different matter. I'm sure the right family will come along. These things always work out the way they should.

You really were so blessed with the boys' school. They always seemed to be doing such great things.

Speaking of blessings, I can't believe how sweet your renting family is. What a great thing to get to spend some time in your future house and meet some ward members. They must be such a great family.

So sorry that you didn't know about the updated blogger. I must have read about it on someone's comments sometime. It really is SO much better.

The only problem is that you can't upload video on it. If you want to do video, you have to temporarily switch back to the old blogger just for the upload.

Kristi said...

Loving that I already knew all this.... :)

Love YOU! Get some sleep tonight!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Congrats!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you guys! So much hard work on everyone's part!!!!!

We just put in a pool... before you leave come up for the day to swim and soak in a bit more of Kentucky.. I love how you described it. I feel the same way. We were sitting outside tonight looking out at the trees and watching the fireflies come out and I couldn't get over how beautiful everything was.