Thursday, May 20, 2010

Silly Bandz

Silly Bandz are all the rage here in Lexington. They hit with a vengeance nearly a month ago and are still going strong. If you are between the ages of preschoolers to Junior High (though some high school teens wear them too), there's a good chance you're sporting some interesting looking 'bracelets' on your wrists. What are Silly Bandz? These colorful rubber bands are made of silicone and die molded in many different fun shapes. The rubber bands return to their original shape when you take them off of your wrist. You can pick from Zoo Animals, Pets, Fun Shapes, Sea Creatures, Dinosaurs, Fantasy, Pirates, Baseball, Sports, Bugs, Rain Forest and more! Some are plain, some are glow-in-the-dark, some are tie dye and some have glitter. They come in a pack of 24 assorted colors and shapes. Kids collect them, wear them and trade them with friends. Trey's double wrist assortment Trey even traded a few of his cooler bands with a friend for their Silly Bandz necklace (rainbow colored bands tied together).

Many places sell the bands (and the knock off Zany Bands) like Walgreen's, Hallmark, The Parent Teacher Store, boutiques and grocery stores, but they are always sold out. When they get a shipment in, they are gone that day. We ended up buy most of ours off of eBay. Man, the boys hovered around the mailbox waiting for their packages to arrive.

I don't know how long these bands are going to be cool, but I think it is fun that the kids to have a trend that they can enjoy and remember for years to com. Like Garbage Pail Kids were for me.

I asked friends in Utah if they had heard about Silly Bands, but they hadn't. I know they are popular in Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio and most of the sellers on eBay are in the southern states (Alabama, Tennessee). It might be a regional thing.

So, if you were wondering what was piled on my boys arms in pictures, now you know. And boy, are they proud of their collections!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

My boys thought these were very cool when I showed them this post....but haven't seen them anywhere here.

Didn't you collect jelly bracelets as a kid? These are just a more fun version.

I did, and plastic charm bracelets- which I kick myself that I threw away. My neighbor across the street still has hers and her girls brought it over the other day. I wanted to steal it:)

Think how inexpensive these are to make. Genius.