Friday, May 21, 2010

Called to Serve

Rhett holding the letter.The excitement builds....
Dear Elder Nance,

You are hereby called to serve as full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Ecuador, Quito mission.You will enter the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, September 22, 2010.Pointing to where he'll serve.Rhett's fan clubs! You can see me in the bottom corner on my computer screen (Lexington, KY) showing my parents in Wisconsin on my family's computer screen in Utah. It's like we are The Jetsons!

Unfortunately, most of our family was far away when Rhett received his call. Rhett spear headed the Skype movement and had us all set up accounts last week. (The coolest thing I've EVER done online...)

My parents flew to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Wednesday for Brad's medical school graduation. They were very sad to think his call would probably come while they were away, but we were excited to use Skype if that was the case.

The post office called Rhett at 7AM MST and told him his mission call was there. (Salem is the cutest, most friendly town in the world!!!) He drove to pick it up, but had to wait until 9 PM MST to open it up because my parents were in Chicago with Brad during the day, Kurt had class until 8 PM and Brad had his medical school graduation dinner that night.

My family called in on the home computer from Kentucky around 10:30 EST, while my parents, Brad and Jana and Jeff and Sarah called in on the laptop from Milwaukee. Greg drove down from Salt Lake with his two boys, so Kurt and Greg and his boys were by Rhett's side.

It was incredible that as far apart as we all were, we there in the room with Rhett as he opened his call. I could hear my parents' voices and them asking Rhett questions (like my mom telling Rhett to call the Grandparents and my dad telling Rhett facts about the country.)

Rhett is THRILLED about his call. So are we. We love you little bro. You are going to be one amazing Spanish speaking missionary in Ecuador!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I love that you took pictures of the computer screen to document it all.

How exciting for your whole family! I can't believe he had to wait so many hours to open it.....that had to be so hard. I think I would have peeked :)

You totally need skype so the kids can talk to grandparents on a regular basis. That is fun that it is all set up now.

Kristi said...

This is a Cheryl first.. prolifically photographing the computer screen. Love that you did this....but laughing because I think only YOU would document it in such a manner. Man you're cute. Congrats to Rhett!