Friday, November 5, 2010

Pumpkin Carving


One of the highlights of the Halloween season is carving pumpkins.  I usually try to make it a group affair and host a party where we carve while we feast on spooky edible items and hot bubbly soup.  I threw my first bash back when Trey was just a baby in 2000.  He wore his little pumpkin costume and our siblings came over to our condo in Provo where we decorated sugar cookies and turned plain old pumpkins into works of art. 

Carving pumpkins as a child was fun, but the revolutionary idea of patterns and intricate tools as made this yearly hobby into a passion. I have a vast collection of Pumpkin Masters patterns and the kids love taking their time browsing through them all in search of that perfect design. I never actually use the pattern, but just scan them on the computer and print them out so it can be used again in years to come.


Since recently moved, we didn't invite anyone else over for the festivities.  That was fine by me, but man, just wait until next year.  I'm going to plan a party for the ages!   We still had a wonderful time with out the masses and munchies to eat.  Zach was enthralled with the 'guts' and laughed and giggled as he scooped them up and mashed them in his hands.  He soon was covered from head to toe in the slimy goo and nearly went down when he got off the tarp and tried walking on the wood floor.

Josh selected a Stanford block 'S' design, Matt went nuts over the Star Wars book I found at Target, Trey picked a scary ghost, while I carved a mummy face.

Can't wait until next year when we can do it all over again!









No comments: