Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What in the world?

OK, I resisted the urge to post this earlier after I read about it online. I didn't watch the Miss Teen USA show, therefore missed out on some serious great TV, but thanks to the millions who have watched it live and online, the media reported about it today. Still, I didn't think it was news worthy enough to post, though I did have a good laugh at the poor girl.

Then I picked the boys up from school today. The first thing Trey told me he had a great story to share. He said, "My teacher told me about this teenager on TV and when they asked her about finding the United States on a map, she talked about South Africa and Iraq. Mom, she is going to college!"

I don't know how this story related to a second grader, but when my seven year old has heard about it at school, I could justify the post. Though I have to be completely honest here. I should not be the one to point fingers. My geography skills have been lacking in years past and somehow I labeled the Appalachian mountains in California on a BYU test (I swear it read Sierra Nevada's). I am sure the teacher thought I had brain damage, but I still ended with an A in the class. I also got on a plane bound for South Carolina last summer when flying out to Lexington. It took until the third announcement for me to realize that plane REALLY was going to S.C. Rich can't believe I'll admit to getting on the wrong plane, but I just say, they LET me get on the wrong plane. Oh well, we all have our moments.

Back to the video, Lauren Caitlin Upton, the reigning "Miss South Carolina Teen USA," was asked during the national competition why so many people can't find the USA on a map. Her answer was so confusing that TMZ says "it couldn't have made less sense if she were speaking in ancient Selonian ... in fact, maybe she was!" Despite the fumble, she came in third! Augh!

Hopefully the Donald realizes that asking questions during a beauty pageant isn't always a great idea. I have one more story to back it up. Years ago I watched the Miss USA show and a contestant was asked which quarterback she would most like to catch a touchdown pass from and the girl's response was "Tiger Woods." By the way- she ended up winning!

So just in case you missed it, enjoy!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Jim and I just laughed at this about an hour ago. It really is quite amazing to be that ......nervous ( I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt). It really is good entertainment.